• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Mike's WIPs...

Started by mdunning, July 07, 2006, 01:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdunning

Hey folks -

Just wanted to get a few opinions before I upload the image.  Before and after images are shown.  Thanks!

KaDi

Neatly done. There is a bit of pink cast to the gown...can you re-balance the color? (Or it could just be my tired eyes. In which case, ignore me.)

Ziaphra

There is definitely a pink cast to the whole photo otherwise very nicely done!  :up2:

Peter_AUS

I agree that it is pink, would have thought maybe cream but we don't get these sorts of images down here in Aus.  Unless it is University and then most things are black anyway.
Regards,

Peter

mdunning

Thanks for the feedback, folks.  Appreciate it!

mdunning

Hey folks - just one more quick critique request before I upload the image.  Is it just me or does it now look a little dull? 

Peter_AUS

Still has a slight shade of pink in it, other than that probably turn the contrast up a little maybe.  It is like there is a circular stain from the bottom middle of the image and then moving outwards towards the shoulders and upwards.  The far right and left of the arms don't have it, but centrally the image does.

Also there is no profile like sRGB of the image posted when opening in photoshop.
Regards,

Peter

mdunning

I used Color Sampler markers in four different places across her cap and gown and they were pretty close to 255 on three of the four.

That circular stain is a perfect oval shape starting at the very top of her head just above her hat all the way down to nearly the bottom of the picture.  I can't quite figure out what thats from.  When viewing the channels individually, you can definitely see the oval in the red channel.  Not sure whats causing that - maybe some type of leftover vignette?  I can't tell.  I'm not sure if I should attempt to remove it or leave it.

Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: Re: sRGB - I'm not sure if it'd cause a difference, but the versions I posted were saved using "Save for Web" to make the images more web "friendly."   

Peter_AUS

Maybe remove it from the red channel, yes it is very obvious in the original image as yellow isn't it.  maybe someone with more skills than I can suggest what to do.  I'm relatively new to all this and still reading a couple of books on restoration, retouching, compositing and masking.
Regards,

Peter

capriccio

Quote from: mdunning on July 13, 2006, 12:41:30 AM
I used Color Sampler markers in four different places across her cap and gown and they were pretty close to 255 on three of the four.

That circular stain is a perfect oval shape starting at the very top of her head just above her hat all the way down to nearly the bottom of the picture.  I can't quite figure out what thats from.  When viewing the channels individually, you can definitely see the oval in the red channel.  Not sure whats causing that - maybe some type of leftover vignette?  I can't tell.  I'm not sure if I should attempt to remove it or leave it.

Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: Re: sRGB - I'm not sure if it'd cause a difference, but the versions I posted were saved using "Save for Web" to make the images more web "friendly."   

The oval is probably from an oval mat that covered it in a frame. Inside the oval looks a bit more faded than the outside. You might try a hue/saturation adjustment layer and play around with it until the oval disappears. Boost the saturation and nudge the color to the green side bit by bit? That also may take care of the pink cast.

Russell

I think the color of the gown and cap are fine, they read as white to me.  But I think you should warm up the face and hair...that part is definitely still a little pink and I think that's what is throwing you.  Otherwise, I think it's spot on!

rcarey2

I agree with Capriccio--the oval lookes like it comes from a mat. I would try to find the oval in one of the color channels (maybe the green since it appears pink). Try to match the oval's shape. Then I would EITHER add green via curves (that will counterbalance the red/pink) OR remove red/pink via the curves. With that same selection I would add a little bit of yellow (again via curves)--that should warm it up a bit.
paz y luz
ron