• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New topic, same image

Started by G3User, April 03, 2008, 08:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laportelj

thanx, and cheers to you !!
  jane

Hannie

Awww Athol, you shouldn't have....

Love the end result of your restoration!
Are you looking for a hardware or software calibrator?
I downloaded the QuickGamma calibrator the other day but I don't know how to use it! :-[

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Athol, he looks mah-velous!  You may have had a committee giving you more information than you'd ever have wanted or needed, but the results are incredible, and you're the guru who pulled it off.  Great job.  I'll wager his family will be ecstatic!

Bless,

Glenna

The tulips are beyond lovely!  It's one thing we can't grow in Florida.  Way to hot!  Thanks for the community bouquet!
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Thanks for the beautiful tulips, and  :up: for doing such a great job on this one!

Christine

schen

Athol, the final restoration turned out wonderful.  Great job!  :up:

Quote from: glennab on April 14, 2008, 08:52:44 AM
The tulips are beyond lovely!  It's one thing we can't grow in Florida.  Way to hot!  Thanks for the community bouquet!

Glenna,

Have you tried putting the bulbs in the refrigerator for a few months in the fall and plant them in the winter?

Shujen

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Shujen, I've heard of placing bulbs in the fridge to force them to bloom.  Problem is I'm not sure I'd be able to find them among all the interesting science projects I have growing therein!  I have great luck with Amaryllis without taking them out of the ground, and there's so much else I can grow that I try to stay away from any flora that requires that type of care.  I have a frightening green thumb, and everything I plant either grows much larger than it ever should (I have a pony tail palm and a pencil cactus that are both taller than the house, and when I got them they were in 1 gallon containers), or spread until I'm afraid they'll eat Gulfport (i.e. the nasturtium patch)!

Cheers,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Glenna, your description reminds me of an old sci-fi movie.  LOL

Hannie

Quote from: klassylady25 on April 15, 2008, 08:32:47 AM
Glenna, your description reminds me of an old sci-fi movie.  LOL
Candy, you mean that movie with the giant pods!  ("Attack of the body snatchers" I believe it was).

I used to grow tulips in Arizona but as soon as the flowers were out the sun would burn them...

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Candy, you're pretty close.  I must be an alien.  Not sure from what planet, but hubby gets pretty antsy when I start shoving sticks into the ground (I can't bear to throw away clippings from my plants) and end up with monstrous plants everywhere.  I've done that with 3 pencil cacti (they're one of the strangest plants you can imagine), and they've grown so huge that he's had to go after them with a machete to get them down to a reasonable size.  I dig up and move plants like they're furniture, and they always take root.  I had a gardening instructor tell me years ago that one CAN'T transplant a podocarpus.  I did so anyway, and it's also taller than the house.  I just looked out the glass doors to the back yard, and my frangipani has blooms on it (way to early for that yet), by the mailbox I have 3 HUGE magnolia buds right at eye level, and I'll just have to bore you with another shot of the nasturtium patch.  It's going to eat the house.

Now if I could only translate that talent to money...

Better head out.  Gotta get ready for work!

Hugs,

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

mschonher

Glenna, can  you come over and work in my yard?

Mary

glennab

Mary, if I didn't live so far away and have to work, I'd love to play in your yard.  However, there'd have to be a disclaimer that I've never gardened up north.  I'm used to the Florida soil and climate, so I'm not sure how much success I'd have. Grubbing in the dirt down here is my second favorite thing in the world.  I think you already know the first!

When I wasn't old and I had a life, i.e. was single (who said that!!??), I spent so much time on my plants that my neighbors would bring over their northern visitors to see the yard.  And the house was also full of beautiful plants.  Can't do that any more because the fur-butts eat them and get sick!

(Actually, I do try to keep spider plants in pots on the floor inside, because the cats love to eat them and they need "salad."  I read in one of my gazillion cat books that spider plants were good for them, and they do love munching on 'em.  Needless to say, I end up with some pathetic looking greenery, but at least the cats are happy, and that's what we live for! (the last phrase would be a sarcastic quote from my beloved when he's had ENOUGH!)

Sorry, another "more than you ever needed to know about the old fart" session.  Better start attending my On An On Anon meetings again!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

G3User

I have to admit that I photographed the tulips at Katoomba in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. It will snow there mid winter every few years which helps. I have seen them in Sydney and have been told that a month of so in the refrigerator before planting is essential.
Then again, I am not a gardener.

Hannie, I have had a look at a number of the monitor calibration software available on line with mixed sucess. The one you mention is intended to allow you to easily adjust the gamma, the equivalent of moving the middle control in Levels or the centre of the display in Curves. There is a second application available from the same people to allow the colour of the display to be adjusted for varying levels of brightness.

I had done reasonably well with my original CRT monitor but I am still not comfortable with the LCD which has replaced it. In some ways the image seems harsh. After repairing the background for this image I get to the point where the colour changes looked smooth, however when I checked by printing it I could see obvious flaws.

You might like to have a look at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/#contrast , there are a number of test patterns which help you check brightness, contrast and gamma but beware, colour management seems to be one step above quicksand

Thanks again for all the comments, I have just completed a couple of new images in 4 days which makes a pleasant change.

Cheers

Athol

Hannie

Thanks a lot for the great link Athol.  Now I know what it all means and what to look for.  Right out of the box my LCD seemed pretty well calibrated but I wasn't sure.  I did about half of the tests from your link and so far thinks are looking good.  I don't think I need to fiddle with the settings, like you said about color management and quicksand!
Also thanks for explaining the gamma story, I have read a little on the subject but the articles usually are so long and technical that it doesn't stick in my memory.

Have a great time in Noosa next week and stay safe!

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]