• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Introduction and request for help

Started by zinger, March 30, 2008, 12:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zinger

Hey Everyone,

My name is Jeff and I am new around here. I am a freshly retired career firefighter who also runs two businesses, one of which is photography.

I took my first assignment and I have it almost completed.

Here is the BEFORE:

Here is where I need some advice. I have everything done except for the bouquet to the left of the cake. It looks to me like Hydrangeas (dark blue and violet colored) and some yellow blossoms of some type. Does anyone know what the yellow ones are?

Thanks for any help.

Mhayes

Hi Jeff,

It great to have you on board! You really picked a fun one for your first one. The first thing that comes to mind is that the flowers might be daisies or maybe spider mums.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Welcome Jeff. I agree with the hydrangeas but have no idea what else is in there.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Welcome to the board Jeff!
You picked a hard photo for your first, the yellow flowers are not easy to see in your post.  Looks to me that they could also be water damage, a lot of the photos do have bright yellow stains like that.
Maybe you can post that part of the picture magnified?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Ausimax

Welcome aboard Jeff.

I tend to think it could be damage rather than flowers, it doesn't look like they are dressed for the sort of occasion that would warrant a Bouquet!

Its the choice of a vague bunch of flowers, or loose them and restore the rest.

Have Fun. :funny:

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

schen

Welcome Jeff.

I agree with Hannie and Max that there were not flowers there.  I think she is wearing blue jeans and that was where the blue came from.

Chen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Hi Jeff

It's great to have you with us.  Especially as it's obvious you're a masochist like so many in this group when you choose a mess like this one to start!

I was about to agree with the majority that there are no flowers and that the area in question is damage, but then I noticed the woman's hand at the lower left.  It's cupped as if she's holding something.  I'm not sure I'd say it's flowers, and I agree that a lot of the blue is most likely jeans fabric.  Possibilities: she could have her hand wrapped around her knee, but I think the angle of her arm is wrong for that; his arm could be far enough around her that she's holding on to his hand; or she could, indeed, be holding flowers (or a stuffed toy, or ...).  If flowers, the yellow areas remind me of the shape of miniature mums.

I couldn't find anything in the channels that gave a hint.  I think I'd be most likely to follow Max's advice and clean up anything remotely definable as part of the photo, and if nothing specific pops out of the mess, I'd do a jeans facsimile and leave it at that.

Again, welcome to OPR, and I hope we'll see you posting often.  You couldn't be in better company!

Bless,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

laportelj

:up:
Hey! Welcome Jeff!

I agree with the consensus that it is damage and that she might be holding something but I think it might be a small purse.Probably her knee actually.
However, rather than placing in something she never had it would make more sense to just fix up her jeans .
  At least you know she had those on for sure LOL!!!

Jane

laportelj

Oh by the way it could be her brother with her.

zinger

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome and suggestions.

I am fairly certain these are hydrangeas. I have looked at the best detail with channels, lab and a host of other tools so I think I am going to just recreate the hydrangea bouquet.

Here is a 100% crop of an area that show the most detail. I am pretty sure I am seeing flora here.

schen

Where you see leaf; I see her belt buckle.  This is definitely one of the ink blot test.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

cmpentecost

I'm thinking the blue is the girl's jeans.  This is my outline:

Good luck, and welcome to the forums Jeff!

Christine

cmpentecost

Hmmmm.....I was going to say it was an 18th birthday, but maybe it is 16.  I'd settle our guessing game by calling the family, but there is not a phone number listed with their information.  It's looking good Jeff!  I'm thinking his shirt is white though, rather than lavender.  Wow, you did pick a good one for your first OPR restoration!

Christine