• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Did I miss anything

Started by Johnboy, March 18, 2008, 11:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

I think this one is ready to go home, but thought I would turn the eagles loose first.

Most of the damage was along the left & right edges and across the bottom. The worst was in the lower right corner.

Original:

Restoration:

Thanks for the help.

Johnboy

laportelj

looks good to me, nice job.

Jane

Ausimax

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Hannie

Good job Johnboy, looks great.  Like Jane I also can't see anything left to repair.  I wonder if the photo got dark around the edges because of bad lighting conditions or because of water damage?

:loveit:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

I think the dark around the edge was caused by the cheap wide-angle lens used, a phenomenon called "vignetting".  The unfortunate arrangement of the subjects with brighter ones in the center exacerbated the problem.

The restoration looks good.  I always struggle to decide whether I should restore the photo to the way it was or the way I would like it to be.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Hi JB

I'd say send this one home.  I doubt there's much more you can to to the outer edges to make it look any better and the rest looks really good.

I fight the same battle that Shujen does.  Do I improve on what's there or leave it as it would be if it weren't damaged?  I think they should be returned looking the way they did before disaster struck. 

Bless,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Always the problem isn't it? You think that this is probably one of the few photo they have left - do you remove the red-eye? Or leave the subject looking like something from "The Omen"?

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Johnboy

Hey gang. Sorry I missed out on the earlier discussion. I have been involved with all the rain recently. Our oldest daughter got water in her basement. So along with her husband and other family members have been trying to help out. It was only 4 inches but still a mess. We have had the 2 grandchildren since Wednesday evening. Anyway progress is being made on the project.

I would say that the dark edges could be the camera lens but I have more of a tendency to blame a narrow focus on the flash. Any way I'll get this going. Thanks for the help.

Johnboy

schen

Johnboy,

You are right, the darker edges were from the narrow angle of the flash.  The built-in flash of my point-and-shoot matches the lens angle.  I forgot that the flash could be the culprit.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Hannie

Johnboy, what a mess it must be in that cellar!  Hope everything gets cleaned up soon, have fun with the grandkids!  (I'm having one staying with me right now and although it's fun it is also very tiring!)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]