• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Back from Kommetjie!

Started by Hannie, March 15, 2008, 02:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Hi Folks!

Even  though I missed all of you guys I had such a good time that I wanted to stay there...
Got back 2 weeks ago and have had lots of business to tend to.  Things are finally back to normal and I'm glad to be back on the board and working on my restorations again!
Wow, so many posts to read and we now have a Before and After Gallery!  Can't wait to see the work!

The trip was very tiring, 12 hour non stop flight in a cramped airplane but the vacation itself more than made up for the jetlag.   2 weeks really was too short to see much of this beautiful place.  The people there are so friendly, food is great and the prices low.  It was not easy coming back to Amsterdam where a lot of people tend to be not so polite and friendly anymore.

If you like there are a few pictures you can look at.  Please keep in mind that I had to work with a borrowed Canon Ixus V2, still don't own a digital camera (can you hear the violins?)
Also you'll notice that in most photo's the horizon is not level, then again, South African wine is so good (and cheap)!  I love South Africa!

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb18/marijtje2/South%20Africa/

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hannie, welcome back!  I'm glad you had such a lovely trip.  The photos you posted were marvelous.  What an interesting landscape.

I'd think coming back to reality would be tough after such an adventure.  My hope is that getting away did you and hubby a lot of good.

I've posted words JUST FOR YOU all over the place.  Good hunting.

It's great to have you back on the forum.

Hugs!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Hannie,

Welcome back.  Those pictures are fantastic.  I want to go there for a vacation too.

Chen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Ratz

Welcome home Hannie :-*
Glad you had such a great trip. You did a fantastic job with an unfamiliar camera, the photos are stunning!

Mhayes

It's great to have you back Hannie! Sounds like you had a wonderful time (except the long flight time) and you came back with some beautiful pictures.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

mschonher

Welcome home Hannie, I missed you on the forums. My hubby and I looked at your  photos.....twice..... They are just beautiful. Some of them would make beautiful paintings. How do you pronounce Kommetjie? We're both wondering. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Mary  :loveit:

Tess (Tassie D)

Glad to have you home safe and sound Hannie.  :hug: The photos are absolutely gorgeous. I borrowed the long beach one for my desktop.  8) It would be hard going home to the tail end of winter.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

What a great way to wake up on a rainy Amsterdam sunday morning, thanks everyone for the warm welcome back!

Tess, I feel honoured that you used the Longbeach photo for your desktop, I'm not worthy!
Mary, Kommetjie is pronounced kom-e-kee.  It is derived from the Dutch word kommetje meaning "small bowl" (referring to the shape of the area).  I had no trouble understanding the written Afrikaans but the pronunciation has shifted a lot from Dutch.
Glenna, it'll be so much fun going WORD hunting, never have enough of those!  I saw a nice one by another forum member:  "sop".  We have the same word in Dutch meaning to clean with sudsy water or to dunk cookies in your coffee  :)

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

John

Thanks for the great shots and welcome back!  That's probably as close to South Africa as I'll ever get.

jneil2

Beautiful photos, Hannie.
Nice to have you back!
Jan