• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Mini Copy Run

Started by Mhayes, February 22, 2008, 10:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Today I did a mini copy run with the help of my husband for a lady who lost her home in the Coffeyville flood. She was unaware of OPR until an article came out in the town's newspaper. She contacted Dave by email and asked if there was any way that we could do her father's pictures that had been destroyed in the flood. Dave forwarded on the email asking if I could help out. I contacted Sharon and we exchanged emails and we were trying to set up a date for the meeting when she told me that one week in February would not work, since she would be babysitting her two grandchildren in Andover, Kansas. I was overjoyed to hear that, since Andover is only a 20 minute drive from where I live. Coffeyville is instead a three hour drive one way. To make a long story short, we met today and took pictures of the damaged photos. She is so grateful that we would do this for her. She said if it was just her photos she could have lived with the loss, but to have been entrusted with her father's photos and then have them destroyed was heartbreaking!

It was interesting talking to Sharon as both of us had at one time Arabian horses. At the time of the flood, she had a saddle shop that made and repaired saddles; that was destroyed as well as their home. She said what made the flood so bad was having all that oil in the water. I asked about the assistance programs and she said you wouldn't believe how hard it is filling out all the paper work.

Sharon is on the left and I'm the goofy one on the right. Sorry guys, but I forgot my OPR t-shirt!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Margie, you wonderful woman (not remotely goofy!).

You've performed another OPR miracle and obviously made a special lady very happy.  I can't imagine it gets any better than that!  And from what I can see of the photos on the table, it appears they can be restored.

I truly love you for your huge heart! You're awesome.

You are, however, out of uniform!  I'm not sure what to make of that.  WARDROBE!!!

Hugs, and more hugs (give hubby several, too, for being part of your mission!),

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Thanks Glenna.  For a brief moment, I had the urge to perform a slight deception with the photo. Like how hard would it be to PhotoShop in the OPR t-shirt over my black pullover? Since the lady we are helping might look at this site and think there was something fishy going on; I decided to fess up. I did however, for one brief moment think about putting it on before I left this morning. Only problem is that it looked a little crumpled and I didn't want to look like I needed restoring as well.  ;D
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Is this a wardrobe malfunction???

Chris

Mhayes

BACK Off!   There was some major safety issues involved here. I was wearing light colored slacks, the OPR t-shirt is white and the ground is cover in sleet. To walk in this stuff meant I had to do a duck waddle to get from point A to point B. Inside the house there are two huge black Labradors and a sick child.  To the dogs I would have looked like a giant goose and to the child I would have looked liked the Abominable Snowman.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Just joking around!!   ;D

Actually, I think it was great how you were able to help this lady, and how fortunate you didn't have far to drive in the bad weather.  Since OPR began two years ago, we have helped a LOT of people!

Christine

Tess (Tassie D)

Abominable snowman.  :funny: Seroiusly, great that you could help this lady. :up:
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]