• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What Goes Round . . . Comes Round

Started by Mhayes, February 17, 2008, 08:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

I should have known that the joy of having messy plaids with damage on photos to restore would come back to haunt me. I never suspected in my wildest dreams that I would be helping Chris out and she would give me one of her handy works. As a friend, I expected her to give me the original not the revised one. Ok, to cut to the chase I have some problems with this photo. If you look at the damaged one, you will notice that on your left hand side the plaids do not look symmetrical with the plaids on the right. I have changed it to look similar to the right hand side. My biggest problem is the area left unfinished on my WIP copy. On the original, that area seems to want to favor green even with a color correction. The other problem I have is that this photo seems to have a noticeable vignette <gasp>, which darkens the corners. That is no problem, except I'm not sure what to do with the left hand corner. Do I ignore the green and try to match the other side and then darken it?

I have color corrected this photo, but even then it has a cast favoring red. I have went into LAB Curves and tried to tweak some. I'm not thrilled with the woman's blouse or the girl's pullover sweater that is a mixture of blue and gray. I think there is damage to the color on the sweater, but because of the mixture of colors; I seem to be at an impasse.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Tess (Tassie D)

Oh thats mean Chris. :) I get this with colour correction but would need a little more warming up I think.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

Margie, here is a color correction version. I'll leave the vignette to you.  ;D

Levels, each channel

Curves, similar to Glenna's/NAPP but I use the B in HSB.
White dropper,click twice - B= 96%, girl's collar
Black dropper,click twice - B=6%, gray sweater's hair under right ear..........I think.
Gray dropper,click ONCE - I eyeballed it, used the gray sweater.

Still too much red. I duplicated the image , mode to cmyk, curves to add a touch of yellow and take out a bit of magenta.
Copy/ paste on rgb image, set to color blend, mask out all but skin area.

Looks a little better.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/93120110

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

mschonher

Hi Margie,
I found that doing global corrections on this photo didn't works so well for me so I took a different approach.
I didn't touch the plaid!!!!! go figure......
I did a curves and levels adj. to the entire image.
Selected the front girl with lasso tool and did a hue sat red minus 17.
Selected the right girl did a levels adj. using middle slider to the right to darken so she matched the other two. Erased any halo in the background.
Selected the Mom's face only..no hair.. did a hue sat red minus 6.
Played with the bkground.
Did a curves auto adjustment. It looked good to me so I accepted it and played with the opacity slider until I thought it looked good to my eye.
Hope this helps.........Mary
Margie, after looking at the preview this looks pretty green and drab probably because I converted it to RGB. It looked very good on my monitor........honest........... You might try working each person separately like I did in spite of how it's looking here................Mary

Mhayes

Thanks Tess, Kiska and Mary. On the partially restored pic that I sent, I had used a filter to warm it up some, since on the preview the woman's blouse had a green tint. I think I was trying too hard to move the red off their faces, which created more problems in a  color shift elsewhere. Kiska, I like how their faces are more of a peach color.

Second problem: Do you think on your left hand side, that the girl's missing information on the plaid should be a dark green? Or should I fudge the plaid and use a gradient to darken the corner?

Thanks,

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

You could sample and paint the colors around the white blotches to tone down the white a little. Doesn't have to be an exact match. Then clone/heal the texture from the good plaid....then try to hide it as much as possible with the V word.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

mschonher

Hi Margie, the plaid looks more greyish with red areas than green to me. Mary

Atlantis

Somehow I can see a touch of green in the grey parts of the plaid. Like a haze. A colour in between what we would call forestgreen and bottlegreen. Maybe a mixture of two semitransparant layers with the grey's and the green's will give the desired effect?
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.