• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Use of cyan layer

Started by Hannie, February 06, 2008, 02:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Shujen, I just bought a huge book by Dan Margulis called "Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction."  Maybe there's a discussion therein that'll explain the blue-cyan mystery.  If so, I'll definitely pass on the information.  (Mind you, I never did make it through his book on LAB color.  Still need to go back to that one, even though I haven't found a lot of help in that color mode.)

Bless!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Mary, please go ahead and post your version of the restore, of course I don't mind.  Quite to the contrary, I love looking at other people's work!  It helps me to decide what to do next!

I have tried Chen's and Margie's method but I think I'm not good enough to make that work for me or maybe it just doesn't work well on this photo?
Next I will leave the cyan channel for what it is and go ahead in my usual manner, levels, color correction, hue/saturation, contrast and damage control.  Mary I will try your method of cleaning up the background, it is similar to what I usually do except for the settings.

Glenna, I would also love to know more about Lab colors and CMYK etc., wish I had more time to dig into all that!

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

I've just recently learned to restore colors using CMYK and I love it!!   You will too.

cmpentecost

Here is a great link that goes with Dan Margulis' book.  There are tutorials, etc.  I've just briefly looked at it, but this might help explain some of the LAB stuff without reading the whole book:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18203

Christine

Hannie

Chris, I bookmarked that link.  This kind of info is really helpful, can't wait to read it, thanks!

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie,

The link of www.dgrin.com helped me a lot to understand (okay maybe 20%) Dan Margulis' book on LAB. The nice thing is that they went through each chapter explaining and showing examples.  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

mschonher

Hannie, here's what I did to your handsome hunk.
Chris I would love to come help you out with the photos but you live to far away and it's just too long a drive from Maryland to Montanna. You can forget about the housework and cooking though......

There are so many things to learn about PS........I'll never get around to catching up with you guys...........Mary

By the way...I would have sworn that I posted this pic and note earlier, goodness knows where it's floating around...it's so embarassing!

Hannie

Aren't you clever Mary, I love what you have done to my beautiful young man!
Can you give me a short explanation as to what did?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Hi Hannie,

On an adjustment layer I chose hue/sat, in the edit box I clicked the down arrow and chose Yellow, then moved the sat slider to the left until it looked good to my eyes. I then did a levels adjustment, after that I did the "scribble" technique with the healing brush. If there are areas of damage that have alot of contrast, I use the replace setting then after I clean up I use the normal setting to blend the areas together. I there are tracks after the blend I go back and do back and forth x's with a larger brush in whatever area  I see them. I remember that it went quickly. After that I headed for the facial areas and cleaned those up. Then I went for those eyes. I duped the image and set the blending mode to multiply, added a hide all layer mask and using the white and theFuriae brush really small, I darkened the area around the cornea/colored area of the eye.....I think that's the cornea, it's not the pupil. I was careful not to overdo. I worked the eyes at 300% but pan out frequently to check that it's not overdone. The left side of the face looked a little too light to me so I made a selection with the Lasso tool and then went to levels and darkened it a bit but it might need a little more. That's about all I did....and it was quick and a little sloppy but I just love to play with the portraits. I probably did a little darkening around the eyeball socket too but when you do that be sure you don't darken the lower inner rim of the eye. Have fun with this one Hannie it's a beauty........and I'm still jealous that I didn't get it first..........Mary

Hannie

Mary, that was so nice of you to write all that down, I like the result and will have a go at some of the techniques that you use! 
I noticed that some of the damage in this photo has a honeycomb pattern so I used the FFT to remove most of it.  I saw in another post  that you are still having some difficulties with the FFT filter.  I remember that when I first couldn't get the FFT to work for me it was because I downloaded the wrong version of that program. 
When you go to the bottom of the tutorial (Candy's link) you will find a link for a FFT download site.  After you click on that pick the last of the 4 available links (RGB version) and then you will have the right plug in and the tutorial should be easy to follow!
Hope this will be of some help.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Hi Hannie,

Glad to be helpful. About the fft; Candy sent me a personal email with a step by step that I could follow. It took me a few time but I finally got it. I was looking for stars all over the place not just the 4 that appear. Do you use black or dark grey to paint the stars when you use the fft?

Hannie

Hi Mary,

I read somewhere that black is better than grey (didn't say why) so I use black myself. 
That is so nice of Candy to write you a personal tutorial!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

Hannie,
I posted the step by step for all to see, but I made pictures for Mary.  I didn't want to post all of that here.  Thought it would take up too much room. AND and an FYI, I use the black brush.  It seems to cover the star pattern better and gives the result that is needed.  Perhaps gray let's some of that pattern through.  Just a thought. 

Me
C

Hannie

Candy, one of these days I will have to do an FFT experiment with both black and gray, your explanation sounds good!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]