• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Retry on Retouch

Started by klassylady25, July 06, 2006, 12:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klassylady25

The photo will never be the original.  In fact we don't know what the original really looked like but I did try to bring it back to life.  I didn't try to bring it back to perfection.  That would be left to interpretation.  I looked at my Momma's pictures for a long time and tried to keep it in the style of the 40's, without overdoing.  Personally I would have smoothed out the backdrop more and made it softer, but.......... didn't.  In talking with another friend, Flora, she said in the end it mattered what I thought. 

Mark Wilson

Hi Klassy,

That's much, much better. I admire your sticking power!  :up2:

-Mark.
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams 1902-1984.

vhansen

I don't remember what the first one looked like, so I can't compare the newer version.
Looking at this version, (I know I'm very critical), but my thoughs are that it looks overworked. What I mean is, areas that do not have damage have been reworked to fit with the techniques used to repair the damaged areas.  This usually results in a painterly look and uneven noise distribution (face looks smooth, background is noisy). I would say it's the choice of tool used, (smudge tool?) as I can see you put a lot of work into this.
Here a bit of work on this using the healing brush.

klassylady25

Quote from: vhansen on July 06, 2006, 08:32:09 AM
I don't remember what the first one looked like, so I can't compare the newer version.
Looking at this version, (I know I'm very critical), but my thoughs are that it looks overworked. What I mean is, areas that do not have damage have been reworked to fit with the techniques used to repair the damaged areas.  This usually results in a painterly look and uneven noise distribution (face looks smooth, background is noisy). I would say it's the choice of tool used, (smudge tool?) as I can see you put a lot of work into this.
Here a bit of work on this using the healing brush.

I know it will disappoint you that I didn't use the smudge tool as my primary tool.  I used a lot of healing brush and cloning, the areas that did not have damage... it all had damage when put under the microscope. The coloring is off, there are gaps in the pixels, the hair was a bunch of flat textured ick and btw, most of the photos of this time were hand painted, not .  They were not Kodak or digital...... I know I have two in my house just like this one!! 

Frustrated...