• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Check this one out

Started by Johnboy, January 24, 2008, 03:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

You folks got me going on the Shadow/Highlight adjustment so I tried it on the third photo in the group I am working on. I had already started with the usual levels adjustment layer to correct the color when you pointed me to the S/H adjustment. Since I hadn't gotten far on this one I went back using the original photo to find my S/H settings. I then applied those settings to a new layer in the already started restoration, and tweaked things a little. I then had to trash the first levels adjustment layer and put in a new one. Let me know what you think of the color.

I have been working on the left side.

Original photo

Color adjusted with levels adjustment layer only

Shadow/Highlight adjustment with new levels adjustment layer

Thanks for the help.

Johnboy

truckersau

Hi Johnboy.
I like the differance the S/H adjustments make before you start, and yours is looking good.
The best part about doing a S/H layer is you can add a layer mask to it and only show as much of it as you need/want in your photo.

Tess (Tassie D)

Thats coming along really well Johnboy. :up:
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

The Shadow/highlight is a handy tool, the only thing to watch is that it pulls the background into the photo, something that can detract from the main element of the photo.

The other negative is that it can exacerbate damage in the background and you can find yourself doing a lot more work than would be needed if it was left as originally taken, with the B/G dark.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Hannie

Hi Johnboy,

Great job you are doing on this photo!
I like the one in the middle the best, the third one (after levels) definitely shows more detail but the colors are not as good as the second photo.

I used the original photo to try and show you what I mean.

- first I duplicate the background layer
- next I did SH with shadows on 36%. (now you can also add a layer mask and only use part of the adjustment)
- then I add a Levels adjustment layer and tweak the individual levels á la Katrin Eismann (RGB)
- another Contrast adjustment layer with contrast up +4
- also a Saturation adjustment layer and up the saturation to +4.

You can also add color balance adjustment layer if you are not happy with the tone of the photo.
Now you can go back and change your the settings to your liking.
I hope you are not going to think I'm a buttinsky for sharing with you the order of layers that I would use on this photo!

:loveit:

Hannie

edit:  after posting I noticed that the SH adjustment I usd is too high (36%), 29% would have been better!  ::)

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Hannie,

No I don't think you are being a buttinsky. While I have had formal training in photography I have had no formal training in Photoshop. What I know in PS is what I have gleaned from some tutorials and reading this forum. The rest is on-the-job training doing restorations and some things for myself. So I am willing to learn.

We we were close on the last post. My settings for S/H adjusted version were Shadow Amount 32%, Tonal width 50%, Radius 33 pixels, Highlight Amount 10%, Tonal width 46%, Radius 30 pixels and Midtone contrast +11. Then I did a new levels adjustment layer.

Below I used your settings of 29% for Shadow amount and left the rest of the settings in S/H at default. Then added a Hue/Saturation layer with the saturation at +4 and a Brightness/Contrast layer with contrast at +4. I also did a new Levels adjustment layer.

The only other thing I can see that may cause us some difference is how our screens present the color. I know looking at the posts I made earlier in this thread I certainly do not care for the S/H adjusted photo. It does not look in the post like it does from my file. It looks washed out compared to my file.

Let me know what you think.

Johnboy

Mhayes

Johnboy,

I'm taking a guess on this one as to why you see a difference between your post and what you see on your own screen. I like to work in Adobe RGB and that is what my profile to save to However, the Web is geared to srgb and if your picture is posted in Adobe RGB it will look duller. What I do is make a copy of what I have done and then change the profile to srgb. This copy will be only for the purpose of posting to the Forum. You can also increase the saturation (not more than +10) since it is for the Web.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]