• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

restoring a damaged document

Started by Atlantis, January 10, 2008, 07:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

While waiting for a return-email from Mr.Klatt with hopefully some extra information, I'll give you an update on my progress.
Yesterday I decided to retrace everything again. with a different brush. I realized that a flat, calligraphic brush would be a better choice when tracing handwriting. And it did. Also the extra exercise did me no harm because the first two days felt like learning to write all over again. Even my own handwriting looked squarish :-(

Today I received a link from Max to his awesome restoration of another document from the same flooded safe. I really think Max should write a tutorial on how to restore documents  :hug:

Some boardsurfing led me to a tut on using LAB-channels and I thought "why not" and gave it a try. I did manage to see some extra information!
(inverted, levelled and copy/pasted the a channel on top of the original scan)
I decided to create a mask (by tracing) of all the writing and trace again on separate layers.
This time divided into a layer with stamps and blue ink and another layer for the darker fountainpenwriting.
Duplications and different blendmodes got me to this :

I'm still a bit bothered by shaky lines but I'm proud to say that some curves came out real nice.
Also the big round stamp: blue on blue coloured background and so hard to see what to trace ...

Today I asked for some "normal" photo's to balance my efforts and I got to download them just now. Thanks Christine.
Once I hear from Mr. Klatt I will get back to his document.
Oh yeah, and there's Real Life as well with some work to be done  ;)

The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Atlantis,

What you've done looks fantastic.  It's wonderful to see a restoration like this become a team effort.  I never cease to be amazed at this caring bunch of pixel-pushers. I suspect this gentleman will be overjoyed once you've finished.

Bless

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Atlantis,

You are really doing an amazing job!

As an FYI, I gave Atlantis permission to contact the owner by email, as it was really the best way to determine what the pertinent information was on this document.  As an OPR guideline, we ask that you do not contact the onwer's of these photos or documents directly without prior approval of OPR.  I know that a lot of the owner information is viewable, but in order to prevent multiple emails/phone calls from multiple people, and to respect the privacy of the owners, we like to limit these communications to the OPR "staff".

Thanks!

Christine

klassylady25

Glenna, there is no doubt that Mr. Klatt will be thrilled.  ATlantis, you're willingness to research this is paying off.  I love it! 

Ausimax

Atlantis you are doing a marvellous job on this document, particularly being able to recover so much of the hand-written material.

I think you had better write the document restoration tutorial, great work! :up:

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!