• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Ready to go

Started by Johnboy, January 09, 2008, 04:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

Hey gang what to you think of this one. I thought it looked pretty easy, but when Jan put it in my gallery she managed to add some hidden damage.  ;D The worst part was the area in the background above the fence. As I was working on this one I came across the post with Katrin Eisman's tutorial on Levels

http://www.photoworkshop.com/adobe/softwarecinema/Katrin_Eismann/index3.html

It proved to be helpful in a reverse application of the tutorial. The thing I did was make a selection of an area, put a Levels adjustment layer in, go into the individual RGB channels, and move the black slider over to darken each of the channels to blend the color as much as possible into the background. Then went back and Patch tooled the the portions that did not blend to fill them in. I ended up with four different levels adjustment layers to accomplish the task. Before I saw this tut I was using the Patch tool to work on that area. It was working but I think this trick did a better job and a little faster too. I even tried the Stamp tool but didn't like what I saw.

Original

Restoration

Thanks for the help

Johnboy

cmpentecost

Nice job Johnboy!!

Christine

klassylady25

I agree with Christine.  Sweet indeed.

Goodnight Johnboy,
MaryEllen (actually Candice)

Tess (Tassie D)

:up: Well done Johnboy.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Miz Cozma

Looks good, great job on bringing the color back to its fullness :)

Ratz

Looks great Johnboy.good use of Katrins tutorial!

klassylady25

I posted that tutorial just recently.  It's a gem!! 

Hannie

Great restore Johnboy!  I like what you did with  the levels.  The tutorial is really good, I bookmarked it after Candy posted the link.
I use Photoshop CS2 and it has a really handy tool called Shadow/Highlight.  I used it a little on your photo, maybe you like the effect.  It can be toned down a bit with the opacity slider in the layers palette.

:loveit:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

That's pretty Hannie.  :)

Johnboy

Hannie, I am on Photoshop CS so the Shadow/Highlight tool is not available to me. Maybe when I ship it home the printing end can make that final adjustment.  I had used the combined RGB levels to adjust the color when I first started. Then after watching the tutorial I went back and used the individual levels channels, and liked the result better when I compared the two methods.

Candice thanks for posting that tutorial. It helped me understand the curves adjustment better as well. I have a Word document with a lot of the URLs for the various tutorials that have been posted, and this one is definitely in it.

Thanks for the comments.  :loveit: I am working on two more from the same family so you will see a couple more in the near future.

Johnboy

GP

Johnboy,

Photoshop CS has the Shadow/Highlight tool! Look under Image > Adjustments > Shadow/Highlights. This was the raved about new feature in Photoshop as CS came out.

Gerlinde  :)
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

Ausimax

Nice job Johnboy. :up2:

For the CS3 users, have they put "Shadow/Highlight" on an adjustment layer yet?  That would be one great move forward.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Hannie

I have used CS3 at a friend's and noticed Adobe still hasn't made the Shadow/Highlight available as an adjustment layer, I find it mind boggling that they didn't!

If at all possible I try to use the Shadow/Highlight adjustment tool at the beginning of the restore, before adding the other layers.

What you also can do e.g. is add a level adjustment layer (or any other adjustment layer), don't change levels and click on OK.  Then change the blending mode to either screen or multiply, depending if you want to lighten or darken certain areas of the photo.  Now you can use the brush (black or white) to show or hide parts of the layer underneath.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

OR, for Shadow/Highlight, I just duplicate the background layer and run it on the dupe. Then you can adjust the opacity, add a mask, whatever.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

cmpentecost

Ditto to Kiska.  I do the same thing.

Chris