• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Veronica's Workshop

Started by Veronica, July 01, 2006, 05:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veronica

Here is my first restoral.  Still working on it, but I would love some feedback please.  I want it to be perfect. 

Should I ditch the shadow?  Is the color too different?

Thank you

pcraft

That's looking great Veronica...  It looks very similar to a pencil drawing by  a distinguished artist... I don't feel the shadow effect does it justice though...  I'm not sure about the colour though...  Maybe a tad bit less??   The one stripe on his shirt next to his arm seems a little too dark and the very bottom of the center stripe could be faded slightly...

All in all, it looks wonderful...   :)  Keep up th e good work...   :up:

Sunday, July 02, 2006

I'm thinking Carol's suggestion, "Re. the colour, I think it would look best if you took it back to a black and white and then perhaps appled a slight sepia tone. " Is a good idea also Veronica..   :up:

Veronica

Thank you so much for the feedback, that is exactly what I need.   ^-^

I will get back to work on it. 

Carol

Veronica,

The original image looks like it was printed with a very soft vignette.  I would replace this on your image.  The work you have done in the bottom left of the image tends to drag your eye away from the little boy's face.

Re. the colour, I think it would look best if you took it back to a black and white and then perhaps appled a slight sepia tone.  His hair is looking a little grey.

I would also suggest trying to soften the vertical line down the left of his face/head where you removed that large crease. and perhaps blend a little (healing brush?) on the vertical line which extends from  the boy's nose to his chin.

I agree with the comment about the stripes on the left. They are a lttle too dark and straight.  (Replacing the natural fold of the shirt would be good if you are still able to do this.

Hope I'm not being too picky

Carol
Carol

www.pixelbypixel.com.au
www.littlecritters.com.au

Veronica

"Hope I'm not being too picky"

Oh goodness not at all Carol, I appreciate the help.   ^-^

Mark Wilson

Hi Veronica,

Oveall the image is quite soft, tonally. In your restoration you have enhanced the shadows so that they stand out. This makes the dark oval of hair attract the eye when it shouldn't. It also makes the stripes very prominent.

If you lighten the shadows a bit, those areas will drop back and not jump out as much. Maybe a tweak of the Curves would do it.

-Mark.
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams 1902-1984.

Veronica

OK Mark, that makes sense.  I will work on that today. 

Do you think the color of the overall image is correct?

Veronica

Here are some more tries.  Again, feed back appreciated.   :)

Thank you!

John

Veronica

Mark Wilson

Yes, V, nicely done!

-Mark.
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams 1902-1984.

Veronica