• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Question for Aussie Members

Started by Ausimax, November 19, 2007, 01:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

Do you find PhotoShelter slow?

On average it takes between 3 & 4 minutes just to get logged in, and it takes 45 sec to change to another photo, like now when there are 100 photos in the gallery it would take me 75 minutes to browse through them, thats without time to look at them. >:(

I am just wondering if that is normal, or if it is because I am on satellite, it fair gives me the pip when I have to go looking for photos.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

truckersau

Max, I'm on ADSL. I have never heard of anything being that slow. mine will run a couple of seconds between page changes or the same for a photo change.
It could well be that you are on a satellite, I've never had anything to do with them but. So sorry I don't know what their like.

Mhayes

Hi Max,

From the time I log on to PhotoShelter to the time I finish; I will have celebrated another birthday!  ;D Seriously, I experience the same type of speed (or lack of) that you are having. I happen to be on satellite, since that is the only choice when you live out in the country.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi Ray, thats as I suspected, I have not noticed any real gain in speed from dial-up in opening web-pages, actual downloads fair rattle in, but web pages no way.

Margie, sounds like we pay the price for having cutting edge satellite technology. :funny:

Your going to have fun as a photo distributor aren't you? ;D

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

Ratz

Hi Max, I have found Photoshelter for me is about the same as Ray's experience.
I am also on ADSL so I,m guessing it's the satellite.

Tess (Tassie D)

Same here. I'm only on 256/56 adsl, going to 1.5/512 tomorrow. It's not lightning fast and dreadfull if I'm uploading at the same time but thats just my upload/download interfering with each other. Usually browsing is 4-5 seconds per page load.
Whats your upload/download supposed to be Max? I wouldn't have thought it was as slow as dial up?
You can check your speed here http://www.speedtest.net/
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Also no problems with ADSL here, superfast.

Maybe Firefox would be faster than IE for those with speed problems.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi,

Thanks for your info, seems like satellite may be the problem, Tassie my speed is 128/512 I recently upgraded from 64/256 and I can't say I noticed any improvement in speed for browsing, the thing about speed testing is they test on a data download, and I know that is right on speed,  but browsing speed is different, as well there is quite a bit of latency.

It is just that whilst most sites are slow PhotoShelter is excruciatingly so.

Max

G3User

Max

I am Optus cable, opening Photoshelter takes less than 10 sec and only a few seconds to change between images but mornings when US traffic is heavier seem to slow things down. Uploads or downloads take approx 30 sec as I recall. I am using Firefox

Athol

cmpentecost

I'm on satellite too, and Photoshelter can be dreadfully slow for me at times.  When doing my OPR duties, I've often had up to four screens open of Photoshelter, and multi-task while waiting for pages to open.

Christine

Mhayes

Max,

Yes, it looks like we pay the price for cutting edge satellite technology. The funny part is that we changed satellite providers because they were suppose to be faster and cheaper. Not everything is slow, but PhotoShelter and uploading pictures to my website travel at a snail's pace. I have used other photography sites, such as Alamy's stock photos and they are reasonably fast. I'm not sure why I can pull photos to view on their lightbox with no problems, but with PhotoShelter they are 100 times slower.

Funny you should mention the fun I will have as a photo distributor as that feeling of uneasiness is starting to creep in. Christine's ability to multitask is amazing. I can almost imagine her sitting at her computer chair barefoot with a Wacom pen between her toes as she restores photos. This allows her the use of her hands to view multiple screens in PhotoShelter, answer the phone, respond to emails, and still be able to pet her cats.  :funny:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Margie,

How did you know I used my Wacom between my toes???  That's funny!  I've gotten pretty good at multitasking doing some of this stuff, but have on occasion made mistakes, like releasing the same photo to more than one person, and deleting a photo instead of moving it.  Fortunately, I've caught my errors quickly....that i know of!

Chris

Ausimax

Really didn't mean to scare you Margie, just glad I'm not alone with the problem.

Election time out here (next Saturday) and both likely contenders are promising super fast broadband for all Australians, I won't be holding my breath.

Max

truckersau

;D ;D yeah Max, you could get into trouble if you hold your breath waiting for a superfast broadband form any of the guys running. ;)