• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Is photorealism possible?

Started by Patre, November 09, 2007, 01:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patre

I didn't download this image from photoshelter in the normal way because I wanted to see if there was even a chance I could manage the restoration before I tried the real thing. So I simply printed the screen image in Christine's gallery. and cropped it to the desired image
in Photoshop.
I gave it my best try, but the image doesn't look photorealistic(it has that airbrushed look).. Is there a secret to creating the photrealism that would make the image authentic to its original owner?
I won't try for the real thing, if I can't do better than the image here submitted.
The original and my attempt at restoration are attached. I am very OK with hearing
that a more expert retoucher could create the kind of authenticity that would make
the image credible.
Thanks for for your help!
Pat

Original:

Restored:

kiska

I'm not looking at the 'real thing', but I think this is a black and white pic.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

schen

Besides the pseudocolor you added, the restoration looks very close to what I think the original should have been.

It was overexposed and not much shading to start with so I would try to preserve as much as I could.  You might want to look more carefully into her left nose, under the chin, and right armpit areas.  Also, she seemed to have a little more hair on her left side.  The hint of cleavage was probably not there.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

cmpentecost

Is Photorealism possible?  Practice, practice, practice!!!  Seriously, some of these photos are so heavily damaged that it's almost impossible to bring it back to the original state.  Others have that potential, based on the skill of the restoration artist.  I know I don't have the skill to restore these photos as well as a lot of you.  However, once Jan and Margie get up and running, I hope to get back to my "practice, practice, practice" theory again!

Christine

Patre

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.
I am still trying to make up my mind about whether to
download the "real" image and give it a try..

I will also  desaturate this colored image and see if it makes any difference
with respect to the photorealism of the image.
Thanks again!
Pat

Patre

Just, for the record, I switched to black & white and made
most of the recommended changes. However, it just doesn't
appear realistic enough to me to justify working on the
"real" image. Hopefully, I will develop the kind of skills
that will serve to produce a more authentic replica.

klassylady25

When you do and if.... you're going to see that the image in riddled with very small cracks.  The Hi-res is going to bring that out.  It's something that you can see a bit of in the one that you copied.  Those are going to give you a challenge.  If you're prepared for it, then you'll have no problems.  Attached is a before and after of a family with similar photo conditions.   :up2: Good Luck

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2008/1936712238_a35362a217_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2128/1936708252_4d82780fa7_o.jpg

Patre

Thanks klassylady..
Indeed a major challenge! Thanks for your before & after- demonstrating
what is possible!
This particular photo is 3x5 in print version, so that many of the flaws
will be hidden in the lowered resolution of the smaller size printed image.
But, even at that, I am less than comfortable submitting an image
that appears to me to fall far short of an acceptable photorealistic
standard.