• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

latest...

Started by RosyBijou, November 02, 2007, 02:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RosyBijou

Here's my latest little guy...

http://picasaweb.google.com/RosyBijou/OPRWorksInProgress/photo#5128278449225882114

I just can't seem to get his hand to look real.  I've done it over several times with different hands--fixing it didn't work at all for me so transplant seemed to be the only viable option.  The original hand has fingers spread a little and the shadow/highlights are coming from the opposite sides.  I think the lighting is the main reason why it will never look completely right.  It didn't occur to me about the light coming from opposite sides until after I had blended, and blended, and blended...   :mad: 

I harvested pictures from my old albums--at this moment my 6 year old is not feeling very cooperative--he likes having his face photographed, but not so crazy about having his hands fussed over!  He thinks it's funny to cross his fingers just as I'm clicking!  ugh!  (But ya can't get mad at him because he has the cutest giggle...--well ya can, but it doesn't do any good...)  Anyway, none of the pics are turning out yet.

Open to any suggestions about how the rest of this image looks and/or if the current hand is salvagable.   Sister's ready to go home, just waiting for brother to be ready...
Kerry
(aka RosyBijou)

kiska

Maybe you have the shadow backwards on his hand. Looks like the light is coming over his right shoulder.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

Kerry,

I would do away with the current hand as it looks like a mannequin's hand and is larger than his real hand. I would go back and use the hand that is the third in series on your slide show with the writing under saying "work on replacing sleeve." I think you catch patch that one up to work much better than the current hand.

I looked at some of your earlier work; you do amazing work!! I was impressed with the difficulty of some of your restorations.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Charlene5

I thought the hand was out of proportion to his size and the lighting was off.  I did a fast and nasty to show you what I meant - darkened the hand and shortened the fingers.  He needs fingernails.  I noticed alot of color debris in his shirt so I gave it my fave fast fix - select and desaturate.

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

schen

I see the original has much of the shape retained.  I am wondering whether it would be better to repair the gray scale of the hand and color it rather than grafting a different hand over.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Hannie

Hi Kerry,

What a beautiful photo!   
It will be a lot of extra work but I agree with the other that the original hand might be better...I tried some noise and shading.
The overall image looks good but might benefit from a little tonal adjustment.  After seeing MJ faceless baby I tried the Emboss on this little boy, it has quite a nice effect I think.
You have done such a good job!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

To me if you look at the original the little finger seems to be apart from the others more...But what a brilliant retore!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

glennab

Hi Kerry

This little guy looks wonderful.  I like the hand in your original post.  I think if you matched the grain of the rest of the photo and added a little shading it would work fine.  There's no way to get it perfect, because you had so little to work with in the first place.

Kudos for a masterful restoration!

Bless

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

RosyBijou

Hi Everyone!
Thank you all for the very kind words.  I love how posting here gives so many different perspectives and ideas--definitely have lots of options to mull over now--I was really stuck...  I think I'm going to take a break from this little dude over the weekend & let all this simmer for a bit.  The gears are turning again now though-- thanks to you all!    :hug:
Kerry
(aka RosyBijou)

Tess (Tassie D)

What a beautiful picture, :up: great job. I agree with restoring the original hand, there's quite a bit to work with there.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]