• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

I'm back! I think! I hope!

Started by Ausimax, October 31, 2007, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

Chickened out on the clean re-install, turned the clock back 20 Months by using a drive image I took in Jan 06, I haven't been able to figure out if I had a software problem or a developing hardware glitch. So I couldn't face the prospect of all the work and messing around for a clean install and then still having the problem, even this way was bad enough, then the downloading and installing of 120Mb of Windows updates plus all the other programs that had to be updated, still some to do, reinstall the printer and tablet with all the usual hassles.

Now it is just a matter of testing it for a couple of days to see if all the gremlins have been eliminated, fingers crossed, because I half suspect I inherited the problems from a Windows update, but by the time you know you have a problem you are too far away from the source to be able to isolate it.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Hannie

Hi Max,

Looks like you will be busy for a while, an old image is almost as much work as a clean install, isn't it? For the Windows updates I use Autopatcher, saves a lot of work!
Hope everything will work fine for you!

Hannie

Happy Halloween everyone!
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Glad you have hopefully got it sorted out Max. Hopefully its not a windows update but having experienced first hand what they can do to your computer I don't update until a few months after the bugs are sorted out each time. Some updates I don't bother with at all, especially the one that either wrecks my old dial up modem or takes my task manager away.  >:(
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Max

I hope you have your computer up and running.  All I have to say is "You coulda bought a Mac!"

Hugs

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

I'm still here,I think!

Hannie an old image is a lot easier than a clean install, I have my drive partitioned so I only have to image the system partition and programs partition, and I don't have to wipe out all my data on the other partitions, you don't have to re-install service pack 2, as well as that most of your main programs are still there didn't have to reload PS - some programs need updating but all in all I think it is much easier and you get rid of all the junk you accumulated over that time. :D

Tess it is always hope and pray time when you have to apply "Bill's Band-aids" never quite sure what the result may be. >:(

Nice thought Glenna, only trouble Mac's won't work upside down. :funny:

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!