• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Portrait background

Started by Patre, October 30, 2007, 09:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patre

Hi all..
I just received some feedback from Chris wondering about the bold and unicolor background on this portrait restoration I just completed.  I am attaching the original damaged photo and the restoration and am looking for background suggestions that might enhance the quality of the image. I originally completed one restoration using a gradient background, but chose the unicolor after my son thought that the gradient didn't "look right". I used one of the colors I saw in the original background for the background of the portrait.
Any other ideas related to the improvement of the image will also be welcomed.
The images are referred here in print size.

Thanks for your help!
Pat

Charlene5

Hi Pat,

I think your background needs some depth and texture - it's too flat and it makes the figures look a bit two dimensional.  I did three things to your picture.  I noticed that the poor woman had orange bits wandering around on her skin.  I did a selective color adjustment and shoved that yellow slider all the way to the left.  In Photoshop it's in the Layers menu.  Choose Selective Color, go to yellow in the drop down menu, and give the slider a push all the way to the left.  Instant fix!  I did a layer of large, soft noise on a 50% gray background and put that over your blue.  On top of that I put a black to transparent radial black gradient.  It adds some depth and tooth to the background and brings your eye to the figures. 

You did a nice job on the restore!

MJ, who is thinking about laying in bed watching TV and eating Cheetohs.  Doesn't that sound decadent? :)
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Patre

Thanks Charlene, Terrific tips!!!
I will work your suggestions into the image
and resubmit..
Thanks so much for your help!
Pat

G3User

Pat,

Another approach is to use a Pattern Fill layer in PS on top of the plain background color. Pick the most random pattern you have available and enlarge it as far as you can. Adjust the fill control for that layer to 10% or so, you can use the move tool to shift the pattern to the most artistic position. You can even add more than one pattern fill layer for a more random result and add gradients if you desire
Used that style of background in the last image I posted.

Athol

Hannie

Hi Pat,

How's the weather in our lovely sunny Arizona?  I envy you, when I got up this morning it was only 7 degrees Celsius,  brrr!
Your restoration looks great, just a few little things I might add to MJ and Athol's recommendations?
I used MJ's example and then took the the original photo and tried to copy some shadows back in the lady's face.  Then I also tried to soften all the sharp edges and smooth the blouse just a little. I would also tone down the teeth a bit even though the owner might appreciate the MacCleans smile!
If you get stuck with anything please don't hesitate ask, we will be more than pleased to pick on you again!
I'm just kidding Pat, I think you are only a few tweaks away from sending the picture back home!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Patre

Thanks Hannie and Atho for you kind help and suggestions!

Weather has been unseasonably hot here in the desert.
97F on Monday, a new record!
Hopefully, we will return to the winter norms soon!
However, all in all, it still beats shoveling snow!
All the best,
Pat :loveit:

cmpentecost

It's 26 degrees here this morning, with a heavy frost on the ground, and snow in the mountain tops!

Chris

schen

Temperature dropped below freezing for the first time last Sunday.  We are going into November with only small proportion of the trees changing color.  This is the greenest October I can remember here in the last 20+ years.  The city scheduled three leaf collections each fall and two already passed without much leaves to collect.  I hope this is only a temporary temperature fluctuation not a long term trend.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

This is the time of year that I adore being in Florida.  Our prediction for the next few days is low 70s during the day and high 50s at night.  We've just begun to feel fall in the air and soon will be able to turn off the air conditioners.  We've had a few much-needed rainy days, but right now it's sunny and gorgeous.

Here's how our trees change color in fall:

three or four days later

This is the golden rain tree in our front yard.  It's aptly named, because in fall it first blooms with millions of tiny yellow flowers that literally rain on the yard.  For a couple days the front lawn is covered in gold – beautiful!  Then the flowers morph into gorgeous salmon-colored pods.  Once the display is over all the leaves fall off and it looks pretty sad for a few months.  Right now the city is ablaze with the pods.  Exquisite!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Glenna, you are so lucky to have a view like that!  My neighbour's golden rain tree only gets the yellow flowers, no pretty pods.
I miss the sun...and I'm so envious of all of you living in warm states!  (I think I might just turn you all into toads anyways, just out of spite)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Charlene5

Quote from: Hannie on October 31, 2007, 03:28:07 PM
(I think I might just turn you all into toads anyways, just out of spite)

Hannie

Hannie I think you need to lay down in your closet with a hot water bottle and your favorite toy until your mood improves ::running away real fast::
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Everyone, I am warning you not to get Hannie stirred up as strange things are happening around here!

Glenna, lovely picture of the Golden Rain trees, the ones here the pods stay a brown color.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Thats a beautiful tree Glenna. We are having our typical spring weather here, all 4 seasons in 1 day.  ::)
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

We have had some doozie storms here the last few days...I love the look of spring but loathe what it does to me!!
paintshop pro X1