• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A good looking boy

Started by G3User, October 30, 2007, 08:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G3User

Comments please.
Not sure why but the image seems to be brighter/less saturated in Photobucket than when in CS3. New to CS3 so there may be a config problem.

Athol

Hannie

Hi Athol,

Yes, that is one goodlooking boy allright!  Wonderful job you have done too!
I use Photobucket and tried to see if I have the same problem but the brightness came out exactly as it is on my computer.  Have no idea what could be causing CS3 to show a different picture, maybe someone else here would know?
I used your photo and did just a little tonal adjustment.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Athol

I can't help but fall in love with these babies!

I wanted to let you know that I've been in touch with Larry Becker, executive director of NAPP (and a great guy!), and I got his permission to share the color correction technique I learned at the Photoshop seminar I just attended.  I'll have to paraphrase it and use my own screen shots to avoid copyright issues, so it may take a day or two to get it ready to post, but I think it'll help with a lot of color cast issues and prevent some of the blown-out areas that sometimes appear on the restorations.  The beauty of the method is that you don't have to guess at the white, black, and gamma points because it's actually formulaic -– I forget the term Dave Cross used – but the points are determined using threshold adjustment layers and specific numbers to set your points.  I doubt that it'll be a cure-all for our color issues, but what I like is that no matter what you see on your screen, you have precise points from which to start.  His demo caused everyone in the room to gasp – that's how impressive the difference was between the original and the corrected one.

I have a book called "Color Confidence" (recommended by one of our volunteers) that gives great instructions for calibrating your equipment.  I can't remember the author's name (I'll check it out when I get home), but it's invaluable for reference.  That might help with your monitor discrepancy.

Cheers!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

:up2: What a sweetie. Great job Athol.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Thanks for the input

Hannie, your corrected version is much closer to what I thought I was seeing. However I should mention that you took the pimple off his nose, tut tut. I debated about it but will take your advice.
My monitor is calibrated but was done during the day, I posted the image at night so the room lighting was entirely different. Maybe that makes some of the difference. I use a 4 year old CRT monitor and the recommendation is to run it for at least 1/2 hour before calibrating and I presume, before relying on the colors it displays

If the method you describe works half as well as suggested Glenna it should be a big help. I found details of the book on line from Oz and will see how the price compares with Amazon etc.

Athol