• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Noise and Neat Image

Started by Mhayes, October 20, 2007, 02:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Margie I fixed the problem, deinstalled everything, took out everything to do with ABsoft/NEAT image from the Windows register, reinstalled and surprise!  All is working again as it should, for how long, now that is another story.  I read in a couple of reviews that this problem happens some times. 
Thanks for thinking with me!  :-*

Here are a few tips to reduce the plasticy look that you some times get using Neat Image.

-First, if you work in Standard Mode you can go to Noise Reduction Amounts and set the Luminance Channel between 30 an 50% (default is 60%).

-If you want to reduce noise in certain areas of the photo you can use the following
(I copied this from the Neat Image website)

1.  Open the input image in your image editor;
2.  Copy the input image in a new layer on top of the original image;
3.  Apply Neat Image noise reduction to the top layer;
4.  Adjust the transparency of the top layer so that noisy areas look fine;
5.  Select and delete the areas of the top layer where filtration is not necessary or excessive (you may want to use the eraser tool with adjustable transparency and shape).

This way your image can retain detail that might be essential (e.g. sand, pattern in bricks etc.)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie,

That's great you got your problem fixed! Thanks for the tips, can't wait to try this software out.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi,

If you are mean, or living on a limited income and can't afford expensive programs. I qualify on both counts. ;D

Try " Picture Cooler" the free version works well and allows you to save JPG's as large files and doesn't print grids on you image as some Free/Trial-ware programs do. and the full version will cost you a Princely $15.00 to use on all your computers.

I find it works as well as Neat Image or better.It also works as a PS plug-in though I have to admit I haven't worked out how yet.

http://denoiser.shorturl.com/

PS: Hannie the author is a countryman of yours.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Hannie

Hi Max,

Mean, little income and cheap!  That's me!  :funny:
Thanks for the link, Picture Cooler looks like a great program.  The web site has some interesting links.  One shows good comparisons of all the popular denoising proggies, really great hi res photos, worth reading.

Hannie 
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]