• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Why I signed up for OPR...

Started by John, June 21, 2006, 03:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old.geezer

This is the kind of site that gives people the chance to actually do something for a world-wide cause.  Bring happiness  they may not, through different circumstances,  be able to participate  in any other way.
I would love to dig a well or build a house, but that just ain't gonna happen, so here I am.

Pete
Pete Bird

Mhayes

Pete, we are so happy that you are here and you are making a great contribution!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Johnboy

QuoteI would love to dig a well or build a house, but that just ain't gonna happen, so here I am.

Pete,

My sentiments exactly. Welcome. This is a great place to be.

Johnboy

johnalever

Hello, I'm relatively new, having just discovered OPR quite by accident in Jan 2010.  I didn't articulate to myself a reason for being here, but it seemed such a natural way to give back to society.  I can do this, so I do!  I also live in one of the most devastated areas of Katrina, Long Beach MS, on the Gulf Coast.  I didn't know of you then, but I'm grateful for any restorations that you did for my fellow Coast residents.

Thank you for doing this,

John Lever
Long Beach, MS USA

Mhayes

John,

We are happy you are here. Katrina is the reason for OPR's existance and it meant so much to be able to give back to those that lost so much. How are things down there? You hear stories of rebuilding in some areas and in others it looks like time just stood still. Do you come across anyone that might still have photos damaged that we could help?

When Dave and Becky first went down to help, they had no idea that OPR would last this long and grow large enough to help other areas hit by disaster. OPR has restored over 6,000 photos and about half of those were from Katrina. All of you hold a special place in our hearts.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

John, since you're from the Katrina-devastated area, you might be interested in finding - somewhere in the forum - the "Biloxi Beacon."  When a team of which I was a part did a copy run to Biloxi, I kept a journal of sorts to give our volunteers an idea of what we experienced. None of us had any idea of what Dave, Becky and crew dealt with when they did their first collection, so I felt it would allow our members to have more of a feel for the impact of our efforts. Working on the restorations is pure joy for me, but one of the best experiences of my life was being in Biloxi, meeting the citizens of the area and collecting their photos.  It was especially awesome to be able to tell someone that we actually COULD restore their beloved history and witness their happiness.  In fact, I think I'll look it up myself, to relive what a fantastic few days that was. I can't say enough about what a wonderful group worked their butts off during that time.

Cheers!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

johnalever

Wonderful, Margie and GK.  Thank you so much for doing this for the Gulf Coast.  I am putting the word out on my Facebook page and hopefully someone will come forward with some additional photos.  If I get any, I will contact you to see what to do with them.

Best,

John

Hannie

John, it would be wonderful if we could restore more photos from that area, I'm sure there are still a lot of people out there that need us.  It is heartbreaking to see those parts of New Orleans that have not been rebuilt.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hannie & John

When we did the Biloxi run, there were many people who asked if we'd come back. People were leaving with huge plastic tubs full of photos still in need of care because we couldn't take them all.  There's a lot of work to be done.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnos

Hey all,

The main reason that I joined is because I really enjoy restoring photographs. I used to go through my friends photos on Facebook and if I seen an old or damaged one I would offer to restore it. That is where I came across OPR. When I read about the work that was done here I felt that it was a fantastic idea and if I can help in any way at all then im glad to help :up:

Mhayes

Hi Johnos,

We are so fortunate that you came to our organization. It sounds sounds like you are hooked on photo restoration, and have we got plenty of photos for you. The best part of what we do is restoring people's memories that might have otherwise been lost forever. Hope we see more of you on the forum.

Margie

P.S. Don't be surprise if the photos in our gallery look better than went you actually get them.  ;)
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Johnos, a warm welcome to the forum from Amsterdam!
We are happy that you've joined us and hope you'll enjoy your first restore.

Margie did not speak the truth: actually the photos in our gallery look worse than what they really are! 

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

That nose isn't nearly as long as it should be! Don't be deceived, John.

Anonymous

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Oldfaded

I sign up to help those who needed special help.
Disasters can be devastating, as long as family gets through fine, its then the photographs. All those memories lost. So heartbreaking. But with this fantastic group, there's now hope, and I'm proud to do my little contribute. :)
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

pic-dr

A little over three years ago, I had a crisis. My immediate family had all passed away, and other than my memories, all I had left was my photo album. During a move, it disappeared (fortunately I have since found it) but when I thought it was lost I was devastated.

After that close call, I learned to organize my (now) scanned digital pics, and then found the Gimp, a free photo-editing program, and began to learn how to retouch my pics, and save them in a safe place, so I'd never have to worry about losing them again.

After 3 yrs of teaching myself what I now realize is so little about photo-editing, I discovered this group through a Linked In photography group. Knowing how much my pics mean to me, I immediately decided I'd offer to help out. Then, after seeing some of the work done here, came the harsh reality of finding out just how little I really knew about fixing pictures.

Bottom line (after many failed efforts) I finally finished my first picture, with the help I got from other members, and sent it off to the gallery owner. The satisfaction of knowing someone will again be able to enjoy their 'lost' pic is really super, and I look forward to repairing more of them, and also learning more from the great artists here.

Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of OPR!

Larry (aka pic-dr)
The most important room is that which is reserved for improvement.

pic-dr