• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Why I signed up for OPR...

Started by John, June 21, 2006, 03:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorraine

Quote from: sanbie on August 10, 2007, 02:32:39 AM
Holy mackrel Lorraine...you are on your 6th!!! :wnw: Boy you must be fast!!

Sanbie

LOL, Sanbie. 

I'm not fast.  I just have a lot of time on my hands.  I'm retired and this is now my full-time job.

Lorraine

RosyBijou

What a wonderful thread!

Like HappyHeart, I saw the show that Oprah did for the folks who lost so much in Katrina.  Her comment about the photos being lost forever sent chills down my spine and I had my "THAT's how I can help" moment...  so, in all my naivety, I wrote to Oprah's show, asking who I could contact that would enable me to offer some of my restoration skills, however limited...

Well, I never did hear back from Oprah, but it prompted me to do some internet searching on volunteer photo restoration and OPR came up at the top of the list.  I signed up that day.

I think that this is such an incredible and honorable endeavor and am so very proud to be a part of it, despite the fact that I've had to pull back over the past few months.  My OPR contributions to date have been a drop in the bucket compared to the "tried & true"... I guess we all just do the best we can.  I am truly humbled and inspired by the talent and generosity of time (and spirit) that folks bring to this project.  I love being a part of it, even if it's just a small part.
Kerry
(aka RosyBijou)

rockthumper

Quote from: RosyBijouWell, I never did hear back from Oprah, but it prompted me to do some internet searching on volunteer photo restoration and OPR came up at the top of the list.
Ah! Oprah was not pro OPR? Ha!  >:D

Why did I join? I've been playing with Paint Shop Pro for years and photo editing/image manipulation is my hobby - I'm still learning more about it every day. I spend a lot of my online time at Flickr mainly doing photo fix-ups for people who request them and reading all the great tutorials that people write for something called Photoshop. Somewhere along the line OPR was mentioned in a comment along with a link which I foolishly clicked on... When I saw what you crew were up to I could see here was a chance to try my hand at something of real human value beyond amusement or art.
I haven't done a single thing for OPR yet because there aren't any photos except for three in Christine's gallery (and I'm not touching any of those!) but I'm ready and waiting for the Biloxi avalanche to fall.

Mhayes

Rockthumper,

I think wanting to do something of human value rather than using your skills for amusement or art is why OPR has such an appeal. I have been to other forums and have enjoyed seeing their work and the contest they have running, but nothing comes close to the benefit that this site offers. You will also find it rewarding exchanging ideas with people around the world.

It won't be long before you can try your hand at restoring. Glad you are on board!

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

zinger

I am a picture-taker and know my way around a few of the features in Photoshop. I read Eismann's book on photo restoration several years ago when I was working to restore some old family tintypes.

Most of all, I spent over 28 years as a career firefighter. On our list of priorities when protecting or salvaging stuff from a fire was photographs. Save the people, pets and photos (computers too which is where most folks store their photos today) - that pretty much was the order we took.

It is very nice to be here.

Mhayes

Zinger, it's really nice to have you here too! It looks after retiring from firefighting, you are still saving photos.  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Jeff, I didn't realize and find it interesting and comforting to know that after the living who are endangered by disaster, first responders try to salvage photos.  After working with OPR, I'm so aware of the value to people of their history.  Just about every other material thing can be replaced.

I've thought a lot about that over the years, because we live in Central Florida and as a hurricane is brewing I first wonder what I'll do to save my 12 cats, and then panic over my treasure trove of family photos.  Their loss would be devastating!

I've always felt that once a hero, always a hero – you're proof of my theory.  Even retired you're still expending your efforts to help other people.  Bless you for that!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

glennab

Jeff, the first thing a true hero says is "I'm no hero."  I'm married to one, so I know.  Usually the argument is "I'm just doing my job," or "I don't do anything special."  Bull pucky!

Many years ago I sailed with a group of firefighters and EMTs, and I know for a fact that first-responders are among the most special people in the world.  So forgive me if I continue to hold that opinion, your disclaimer notwithstanding.

Cheers!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

wrinklymike

I used to do repairs on a genealogy site, but there seemed to be a clique of old hands who left the newbies out, so I gave up.

schen

Welcome on board, Mike.

We do have an old hands clique here too.  But they will absorb you in no time.  The quickest way to get "in" is to request an impossible photo to restore and ask all the questions you may have here.  You will get all the helps you need and more  ;)
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

cmpentecost

Welcome aboard Mike!  We're glad to have you aboard the OPR team!

Christine

glennab

Mike, I sent you a welcome elsewhere (the first of your posts that I saw), and as one of the forum's long-time members I can assure you that you won't get left out of this discussion unless you choose not to participate.  Our newbies have contributed so much and continue to do so.  What we are is one big OPR clique!  It gets better and better with every new member.  I'm truly glad you're with us!

Cheers

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

John

Quote from: wrinklymike on April 20, 2008, 02:21:13 PM
I used to do repairs on a genealogy site, but there seemed to be a clique of old hands who left the newbies out, so I gave up.

Welcome to OPR!  Thanks for joining!