• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New York City Copy Run

Started by Mhayes, April 24, 2013, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

I know that I am running late in getting news of the New York copy run for those hit by Hurricane Sandy, but have had some delays along the way. This copy run was like none other that OPR has ever done and it was the result of many individuals/companies coming together to sponsor this run. It is hard to know where to start, but usually the beginning works best.

As you have been following along on the OPR home page you will have read how Katrin Eismann with the School of Visual Arts (SVA) and long time friend Ken Allen of Ken Allen Studio came together to sponsor a copy run at SVA. That effort became even larger when Ali Marano with JP Morgan Chase Technology for Social Good became involved. From there our copy run became not only a huge event, but the publicity we received got us both national and intentional attention.

Hopefully after seeing the following photos taken during the copy run you will all have a better appreciation of what took place.

OPR was so lucky to have Katrin Eismann and her students to sign on and best of all the copy run was held at the SVA. This was unique in that we utilized both SVA buildings (one across the street from the other). The one that you see now with the OPR poster is where people came in with their photos. Once inside they were directed to a small auditorium that had a full size screen behind the greeters that had a continuous slide show of before/after photo restoration--both OPR's and Katrins. At the greeting table was a special seat for those who had made advance appointments--more on that later.

Photo Courtesy Jan Neil

Photo Courtesy Jan Neil

A big thanks to SVA for printing Posters seen throughout.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

A huge appreciation goes to Chase (will cut short for JP Morgan Chase Technology for Social Good) for providing two very expensive copy stands. The one below is valued at $122,000. The third copy stand was Ken Allen's own stand from his business, Ken Allen Studio. It took one whole day to move this equipment and it was an expensive move. William (Scott) Geffert with Imagingetc.com was hired to do the set up and help with the camera. Scott was so impressed with what OPR was doing that he donated his services and has also volunteered to help on the New Jersey run. Below a picture of Scott Geffert

Photo Courtesy Katrin Eismann

The second photo is of Mr. Oi-Cheong Lee (MMA-Metropolian Museum of Art) Photographer at the same copy stand. He was terrific with hard to photograph photos that were crinkled up. Notice the face mask as some of the photos had serious mold issues that required both a mask and gloves.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Here is another remarkable thing that happened at the NY run that we have never had before. We had two volunteers that were MMA Photo Conservators. They were Lisa Barron and Iraban Mukherjee and to say these two women were amazing is an understatement. They knew everything about the care and restoration of a photo and also gave advice on care of damaged slides. I feel lucky to have been able to meet and watch them in action. I learned a lot.

Below is a photo of Lisa Barro helping a man with his damaged photos.

Photo Courtesy Jan Neil

Below a picture of our own Jan Neil masked and Iraban Mukherjee working with a photo with mold contamination.

Photo Courtesy Margie Hayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Another first for OPR was having two crises counselors from Project Hope. See below for more information.

Below is a picture of Rachael Alban (left) an Jesse Glaser (right).

Photo Courtesy Margie Hayes
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Unlike other copy run where the greeters would be doing the exact measuring and labeling, this was handled in the SVA building across the street. This meant that the greeters would bundle photos of like sizes and put in clear sleeves that were labeled as to size. Once that was done the runner would take to the other building for exact measurements to have a label to go with the photo. Because of all the expensive equipment, it was necessary to have this part segregated off. On this side of the building you would see Katrin, Ken, Scott, and SVA students working on the photos. Also involved in the process were other volunteers including those from Chase and Jason Geller-EDU Advantage from B & H Photo Video Pro Audio. B & H so graciously furnished breakfast each morning of coffee, donuts, and bagels. They also provided lunch of pizza and wraps for all of us---fantastic!

Below is Sawyer Geffert (son of Scott) measuring and labeling photos. He also helped as a runner.

Below is a picture of Sami Rehman Hussaini (Chase), Lavonne Hall (SVA), and Jason Geller (B & H)

Below SVA students running copy stand. All of the students were a great help on this run and very talented.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Playing a big part in the success of the copy run was the sponsorship of Chase.  Heading this up was Ali Marano, Head of Technology for Social Good, and she was amazing.

Photo Courtesy of Ali Marano

Here is a link that explains a little more about her work: http://www.fastcoexist.com/1679282/instead-of-corporate-philanthropy-how-about-corporate-volunteering

Not shown but very important to the success of the run was Jennifer Kim. She worked tirelessly on the design and wording for the flier and press release. We got a huge amount of publicity and that was due in large part to the efforts of Jennifer.

Another first for OPR was the ability to have an online appointment book so that people could reserve a time to come in with their photos.  Thanks goes to Anand Sethupathy of Chase for setting us up with "Bookeo." Below is Anand and a screen shot of what we would see for the bookings. This worked out wonderful and we were pretty much booked both days.

Photo Courtesy Chase

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Three others on the Chase Team: Andrew Clark, Razvan Constantinescu (pictured below), and Tina Shah that helped design the new t-shirt for this run.

Photo Courtesy of Razvan by Chase

Below showing a student (SVA) and the new t-shirts provided by Chase. The design was on both sides.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

This was like no other run and I can't thank everyone that made this run a success. Normally we like to take a group picture, but his was about impossible because we were all spread out. Katrin did manage to get a few of us together.

Back Row: Jan Neil, Oi_Cheong Lee, Scott Geffert, Sawyer Geffert, Katrin Eismann, Elizabeth Wentling Harnarine.
Front Row: Marko Kovacevic, Ken Allen, Lavonne Hall, Margie Hayes

Photo Courtesy: Katrin Eismann

As with every copy run I hate to see them come to an end. I finally got to meet the incredible Katrin Eismann who was responsible for my getting involved with OPR back in 2007. The others that I met for the first time; I feel grateful to have met you and appreciate how much you contributed to the success of this copy run.

On the morning that Jan Neil and I were to depart for home; we decided to do some sight seeing. Scott, Annette, and Christine with DigMyPics were at the run and also visiting relatives. They too were flying home that afternoon and asked us to go with them to see Ground Zero. It was so great to spend time with them and when we toured Ground Zero it was sobering, but glad we did.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

Thank you for such a detailed report Margie along with the great photos; I feel like I had been able to attend after all.   :loveit:

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Hannie

Thanks so much Margie, that is a lovely report and so much fun to read!
The pictures are great too, they give a good impression of all the work that was done on this copy run.

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Rbm

Greetings,

Thanks for posting this Margie.  I am so envious that you got to meet Ms Eismann.  I would like to be a part of one of these copy runs someday.

Thanks,
Richard Mayes

Candice

I remember Glenna working on the picture on the poster.  Wow, I have been here a long time!!  :)
Candice

bjtx

Margie, Real interesting info & photos.  What a wonderful group of folks! So much talent, effort & resources were provided.  
--  thanks to all ---
Betty
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

pixelesh

Thanks for the peek into what looks like it was quite an exceptional & memorable copy run, Margie. I took a Photoshop masking and compositing course with Katrin back in 2005 or so, she was an great instructor and I've been using what I learned there in so many different digital situations.

Mhayes

Unless something should come up, you will have the chance to meet up again with Katrin Saturday. I agree about her being a great instructor and the students at SVA had nothing but praise for her.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]