• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The Joplin Journal

Started by Mhayes, October 18, 2011, 03:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

I had to laugh when I read Shujen's post about Winona. While I couldn't find the photo, I did have a shot of Shujen on the manual for doing a copy run. I also have a photo of Jan at the Biloxi run.

Below Shujen, it an example of the kind of tripod that we bought and used at the Nashville run. This makes it easier to look in the view finder, but the photographer used one of our small desk lights as ballast.

Jan and the copy stands used at Biloxi. I don't remember if is was Jan who caught Christine's camera when it came off the copy stand, but that could have been another expensive fall out.

I do agree about doing mini-copy runs, but getting volunteers is often easier said than done. Also, I'm not sure that we could afford to send the type of stand that Mike and Pat has as that would be over a $1,000 and what happens if the lights get broke in transit? The idea of having photographers in place is something that I have in mind for Joplin and a mini copy run later. We know there are plenty more photos to be claimed from what Angela Walters and Victoria Johnson are doing with Lost Photos of Joplin, but that is going to take time to be put out and found. I will be getting something in place and will post when I know.

More coming about the photos and families at the run.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

This is the 6th copy run that I've been on and while they all hold similarities, Joplin was different because of it being an F-5 tornado that destroyed so much in its path. Photos in Joplin suffered water damage similar to floods and hurricanes we've done, but so many photos were blown miles away from home. Some were found 200 miles away and the furthest I heard was one found in Nashville, TN. The other tragedy is that 155 people lost their lives in this tornado.

As Claire helped the woman pick out the photos she most wanted restored from this album, stories about people came out and you felt connected to them.

Phil Hughlett, one of our newest volunteers, signed up with OPR right after the tornado to help. He works at Hallmark in KC and others there have also volunteered for OPR. Phil also appeared on the front page of the Joplin Globe that gave us a lot of coverage. Phil was not able to stay over and have dinner, because he needed to get back and help his folks clean up the damaged they suffered from the tornado.

Beside the Joplin Globe, Ky3 TV out of Springfield did a segment on us. Here is the interview:
http://www.ky3.com/videobeta/f0899430-f3e4-4c60-b813-f36842467376/News/Operation-Photo-Rescue What was nice about this interview was a genuine interest to get the story out and the cameraman was really interested as a photographer in what we do.

There were two occasions where the stories were so tragic, that a hush fell over the room. A mother came in with her daughter's photos. There were a few of her daughter with her childhood sweetheart she married and had 6 wonderful years together. A few of her wedding pictures survived and will be restored. For her daughter, life will never be the same---her husband shielded her with his body. She survived, he died a hero. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391145/Joplin-MO-tornado-Wife-talks-moment-husband-gave-life-save-her.html

The second that stands out was an elderly couple that looked to be in their late 70s or early 80s. The husband came in earlier with some photos and you can see him on page one with the Clorox wipes by his arm. Later he came back with his wife and she was using a walker and they slowly made their way back in. As often happens, looking at the damaged photos brings home the loss and tears are near the surface. So many of their prized photos were gone as well as their home destroyed. One of the photos of her daughter showed up many miles away and was posted and someone who had worked with the daughter recognized her and the photo made its way back home. The room was quiet by now as they were our last family, but everyone gathered around them to give them comfort and to let them know we could fix their photos.

More tomorrow.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Great story Margie. It is good to see how far we've come with comfort for the photographers. I found one from Biloxi, you'd need good knees to do this all day.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Tess, they would have fun trying to get me back up. What is even more amazing is that this was the last run where no limits were placed. They came back with over 3,000 photos and it took more than 2 years to complete.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

Margie, that picture looks like someone I know tiptoeing in front of the copy stand.  A day of work like this guarantees a stiff neck and a recommendation to a ballet troupe.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Pat

So those were pink toe-shoes I saw peeking out of the box the knee pads were stuffed into!

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Shujen, all these years I had no idea who the pink toe-shoes belonged to. Thanks Pat.  ;)

I'm running a little late getting more photos posted, but will try to get them in tomorrow.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

The great part about being on a copy run is the chance to meet some wonderful people and that includes our group. I got the chance to meet Pat and Mike Sluder for the first time. Victoria Johnson, who set things in motion after her first email asking if we could help Joplin, was there along with husband Randy Henderson. Both of them long volunteers have spent a lot of time promoting the run by brochures, fliers, radio, and TV appearances. Phil Huglett, Linda Pedroley, and Claire Walker (Jan's sister) were new and it was great working with them.

The three evenings that we were in Joplin we all went out for dinner and Scott picked up the tab Thursday and then the last night when we stayed in and ordered pizza. This is the 2nd run for Scott, Annette, Corey and Christine.  I can't say enough about how wonderful they are and that's not because Scott seems to be feeding us a lot. Plus, by your 2nd run there is a lot of teasing going on and while your t-shirt may say OPR on the front, there was a bull's eye on my back.

Friday after we closed up for the day, Jan and Claire wanted to see the destruction so my sister drove us around in her van to take pictures. It got to the point Vicky was no longer called by her name, but was given a new one by Claire---James (the chauffeur).

What I found so impressive is large structures like the St. John's Hospital were destroyed along with the houses. So much of the destruction has been cleared away and large areas of land are barren. We came upon what was once a church and the only thing left standing was a cross that was held up by cables.

Besides St. John's Hospital we drove by the Joplin High School and it is a sight you find hard to believe.

I found this online and it gives you a better idea of the destruction when you see the before/after the tornado comparison. The report came out earlier before the final count of 155 people that lost their lives.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391075/Joplin-tornado-photos-devastation-232-missing.html

Throughout the destruction you would see these little sign with different messages of encouragement that look like they were done by children. I am going to find more around about them.

One of the last shots that Claire took before we headed back to the motel to meet the group for dinner. There were many flags around of all sizes and also signs thanking volunteers for helping.

Sunday everyone headed home--some left earlier than others. Jan and Claire were to catch a flight back to CA and their taxi was to pick them up at 6 am. There was some doubt about whether it would show up, because coming down Thursday the cab driver said they only had 5 cabs. So around 6:05 we get a call from Jan that the taxi is not going to pick them up and could we please get them to the airport. I never would have believe my sister could move that fast or for that matter Jan and Claire. We got them to the airport about 6:30 and Jan practically jumped out the van before it came to a stop. She raced ahead of her sister to get signed in. We thought all was well and drove off---turned our cell phones off in case it wasn't---OK, just kidding.

It wasn't until we got home that we found out out their troubles had just started. For some reason Jan's ticket went through, but with just a few minuets difference---Claire you should have not let Jan run past you---Claire was not allowed to board because she went past the cut off time. They tried to explain the situation but no one really cared. Jan then asked for the supervisor and having worked for American Airlines knew what she had to do. She explained that she and her husband were Gold and Platinum members and she had doubled her frequent flyers miles for Claire to have her ticket and she couldn't stick around till 3:30 for the next flight. The supervisor didn't seem to care either and then Jan asked for her supervisor. Finally Jan convinced them that they could allow Claire to board and it would really be more pleasant to see them flying out than refusing. I was impressed, because Jan is not a bossy person---although she has been known to chase a strange van and pound on the window to be let in.  ;D

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Margie, I know you're always busy, but thanks so much for sharing photos and the Joplin Journal.  It takes me back to the Biloxi run and what an unbelievable trip that was.  There were so many poignant moments, and times of joy and companionship, disasters (like Jan's and Claire's - mostly perpetrated on Christine), and the best part was interacting with the people for whom we're doing the restorations. 

Your descriptions have reminded me of the rewards of being on one of the copy runs and make me wish I'd been with you in Joplin.  I haven't given up on making it to another one, and if you keep up the commentary, I'll be completely determined to get to the next one!

Bless all of the Joplin crew for your hard work.  Having been on a run, I know how hard the work is, how painful it can be emotionally and physically (I was the local "pharmacy" in Biloxi), but more than anything, I remember the rewards, the tears, the smiles, the hugs, the wonderful people who withstood so much loss and still retained their humor and their spirit and the camaraderie of the OPR team.

Hugs to you all.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

GK, wish you and Iron Man could have been on this run, but maybe the next.  I was slow getting these out not because I was too busy, but more from being under the weather from the sinus problems due to the working around some mold on an album.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie, thanks for the lovely report and the photos.  It is great to see everyone and I absolutely love the copy stands, they look amazing.
Can't believe you took those knee guards with you to Joplin, were you expecting to use them?  :)

It is also nice to read the reports by all the other volunteers, it gives us a good picture of what a copy run is all about, thanks so much.  (even if one has to wonder what was going on, pink ballet slippers and running after a total stranger's van demanding to get in....) 

I see a wonderful group of people that want to look further than their own needs, what a great bunch!

Margie, your sister Vicky has been helping out more than once, many thanks to her as well!

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

lindaped

Quote from: Mhayes on October 18, 2011, 08:28:05 PM
Shujen, no the embarrassment is for Linda and Claire, with Linda probably taking top honors. She almost looked like a Red Skelton character.  ;D

I guess I shouldn't have watched all those Red Skelton shows when I was a kid! Who knew he would have such an influence on me! ;D

I just wanted to say it was a great experience for me to participate in the Joplin run. It seemed to me that, for the families, it was almost therapeutic for them to bring in their cherished photos and find out that someone cared and was willing to help as much as possible. I would love to be there when they receive the repaired copies and see the looks on their faces!

It was wonderful working with all of the other volunteers and meeting them in person. What a great group and what a great organization! Thanks to everyone who went to Joplin and to all of the volunteers worldwide who contribute their time and talent to OPR!

Linda

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Something tells me this next photo should be locked up in the OPR fault or in a time capsule not see the light of day for a very long time. That would be noble, but ther real reason would be to use it against them for blackmail. I sense from Linda's post a certain pride in being able to make the best Red Skelton face and I know all of you would like to see the group after they came unhinged at the end of the day.   >:D

I warned you!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Linda is showing some real talent there! 
Don't you just hate it when thing start growing out the top of your head when a photo is taken!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]