• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Time to rally 'round the flags . . .

Started by lurch, December 29, 2008, 09:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurch

This wip is one of Margie's SOS photos. And here is where Carole finds herself woefully ignorant of military matters :-[ All the flags in this picture clearly have significance, and most are nice and clear. It's the far right and far left that are obscured enough so their original appearance is a mystery. The far left one appears to be a seal in a white or light gray circle. I can make out the letters "VY TRA" around the outside edge of the seal. As a wild guess (and I do mean wild) the flag on the far right has a logo of a red torch with a yellow or orange flame. No idea if there's anything else there. From the trees, my guess is the photo was taken someplace like Monterey, CA or San Diego, CA. Can anyone point me to some authentic images that might help get this restoration right? Margie, can the family provide any clues here?

Also, on the red flag, I can't make out the ranks for Roberts and Rockwell. Would like not to just leave those letters as a schmear since all the other contents are so legible. This photo must have been taken before the Navy went coed - can't imagine "the Navy's rising son's" flying now-a-days!
<C>

Mhayes

Hi Lurch, give me a day to get with the family to get more information. Great start!  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

I've posted it to a board that I visit.  If I find out anything I'll let you know.  Any way you can share the hi-resolution of the flags that you are asking about?  Thanks and great pictures!  Bets

Candice

Mhayes

Lurch, listed below are three links that have been helpful in getting correct information on military photos in the past. For their forums you will need to join, but it's free. Also, if you post the photo to ask questions, make sure the personal info is removed, including the family's name on the photo's extension.

http://www.military.com/

http://www.miluniform.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=17

http://www.omsa.org/forums/index.php?

Hope that helps.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

Thanks Margie and Betty. I'll check out the links, and if anyone has any suggestions from the other board I'm all eyes! Bets, I'll post hi res clips of the flags later tonight.
<C>

Charlene5

A visit to http://askthechief.wordpress.com/ might help.  There's an email address there to send questions.  I think that most of the flags are some kind of unit awards and the messy one on the left end might be the US Naval flag.  Flags and banners are displayed in order of precedence from the viewer's left to right in a static display - if I'm remembering right :) 

I also found an info page for for the US Naval Historical Center http://www.history.navy.mil/contact.html.  A phone call to their public affairs office might be just the thing.  I've made several phone calls searching for detail in the pictures I've restored. Once I explained what I was doing and mentioned OPR people went out of their way to help.   It's nice to know that there are still helpful, good people in the world!

Former Sergeant Johnson who sprained her brain remembering flags things :)
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

haleygd

Hi Lurch, I also spent a couple hours searching around last night, with not much better luck.  I wasn't able to find a unit crest that I could match up to the one on the left, though I'm pretty sure it is not the standard Navy crest/seal. I think you are right with the torch ont he right. This is fairly standard symbol for knowledge or training. My guess this is a graduating training class. I hunted 092 as a ship hull number with no success so it may be the 092nd graduating class.  I couldn't find any reference to the PBIA.
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

Candice

Lurch, word has come down the pike that the red flag and the one with the white circle may have been designed by the unit.  That would make it unique to the unit.  What Margie finds out will help.  Later with the hi-res of those two, identification will be easier.

:)
Candice

Charlene5

Woke up this morning with one answer - the 092 is the class number.  I believe this is a boot camp graduation picture.  Classes are numbered consecutively by year.  For example, if this picture were taken this year it would have been Class 08-092.  They carry the guidon during movements as a form of identification.

Looked around some more and found a more recent equivalent picture here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilively/316423904/The flag on the left end of your picture may be from wherever he trained.  It may have been San Diego or Great Lakes but I couldn't find an example of those flags.  I'll keep looking!

MJ

PS - Just had another idea!  Print out your picture and take it to your local Navy Recruiter.  Yes I know it's a daft idea but I'll bet he/she could help a lot.  Just don't sign anything official while you're there :D
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Candice

That's what someone told me they did in Boot... so there's another confirmation.
Candice

lurch

<C>

Mhayes

I received an email from the owner today:

QuoteThank you so much for your email regarding the photos and all the hard work that has been put into restoring my husband's photos.  I looked at the link and I see the problem but unfortunately I don't know the answer.  I tried going to the Navy recruiting office, as suggested on your link, but there was no one in so I'm going to try again in the morning.  If they are unable to help I will ask my husband tomorrow afternoon and email you the information.   I would ask him now but I have been wanting to surprise him with the restored photos.

If we can get the info without the husband knowing that would be great, otherwise we may have to wait and ask him.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

Might have solved one of our mysteries . . . What do you think? Also, here are full-resolution excerpts of the three flags.

Can't believe how helpful you all have been!
<C>

Mhayes

Wow! That's great you were able to get the seals on the flags. The only one that leaves me confused is your last one, which I'm not sure what that flag should look like?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

The first one is the "recruit training".  It fits into the picture.   I've posted the red flag let's see if there is a nibble on it.

The nibble was he could read it.  "We are the sons of the United States Navy No on brighter No one better" 

I love that!!

Bets :)

Candice