• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Good News--Fire Damaged Photos Coming

Started by Mhayes, August 02, 2023, 08:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Candice, I believe you are right. While we did cancel PhotoShelter, we will continue to pay to have our website up for awhile.

Unfortunately since PhotoShelter was closed no way of going into individual folders. You are right up there for the most restorations done and I came in after you in 2007. What was originally for those hit by Hurricane Katrina ended up with OPR branching out and helped other disaster sites. Then years after Hurricane Katrina we made a return visit and believe or not people still had plenty of photos for us.

Thanks to the "old-timers" like you Candice and all the volunteers that would finish one photo and on to the next. I am very grateful for inner team as I could never have done without them. Wish Tess could have made it as she is often in our thoughts.

They say it isn't over till the Fat Lady sings and so far I haven't tried the vocal cords, but the day will come.

Thanks again everyone.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Thanks for letting us know.  I have all my pictures on an extra drive and backup discs.  You never know when they would be needed for some reason. 

My all time favorite was General Patton

It came in 5 sections! In the end we had to knit them back together.

Of course every military picture had a place in my heart. 
Candice

Jo Ann Snover

Sad to see that there's no news since I last checked about OPR being able to continue. I wonder though if anyone knows of any other volunteer restoration groups that might been in need of volunteers?

I found a group called Random Acts of Photo Restorations on Facebook and joined to see what it was about. Not really the same mission as OPR.

Another group called National Disaster Photo Rescue hasn't replied to email sent, so it may be defunct too.

Jo Ann

Mhayes

Hi Jo Ann,

I'm afraid things are coming to a stand still. The one called National Disaster Photo Rescue simply goes out and gathers up the photos off the group and tries to reunite with owners. I know the guy who started it in Joplin, MO. I wish they hadn't taken a name so similar to ours.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Quote from: Mhayes on November 13, 2023, 06:59:10 PMHi Jo Ann,

I'm afraid things are coming to a stand still. The one called National Disaster Photo Rescue simply goes out and gathers up the photos off the group and tries to reunite with owners. I know the guy who started it in Joplin, MO. I wish they hadn't taken a name so similar to ours.

Margie

So they reunite the pictures but do not restore them? 
Candice

Mhayes

Yes. They only reunite the damaged photos to the owners. After the Joplin tornado we worked with them, but that was only a one time thing for Joplin.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

That explains why National Disaster Photo Rescue never replied to the email :)

A report on Random Acts of Photo Restorations after participating there for a bit, in case others might want to keep their skills in shape restoring photos. I have enjoyed restoring damaged photos and I just don't work on requests to remove an ex-boyfriend or put Christmas bandanas on the dogs! The group moderators keep saying that it isn't an editing service...

One nice aspect is that you get to know a bit more about the photo or the person in it because the "owner" is the one asking
Jo Ann

Candice

Quote from: Jo Ann Snover on November 26, 2023, 06:04:53 PMThat explains why National Disaster Photo Rescue never replied to the email :)

A report on Random Acts of Photo Restorations after participating there for a bit, in case others might want to keep their skills in shape restoring photos. I have enjoyed restoring damaged photos and I just don't work on requests to remove an ex-boyfriend or put Christmas bandanas on the dogs! The group moderators keep saying that it isn't an editing service...

One nice aspect is that you get to know a bit more about the photo or the person in it because the "owner" is the one asking

I've seen some great work there.  I saw you worked on the same picture I did, but I'm not staying.  I guess I missed the part in ALL the RULES, where you couldn't use manners.  "I'd love to work on this".  2 notifications stating.... I couldn't do that.   Was told that you are to get the picture and do the work.
Candice