• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Very reluctant to post!

Started by weewood, January 07, 2009, 05:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weewood

Before you start critiquing this photo, I would like to tell you some history behind the photo. When I first got this photo (over 6 months ago, I'm embarrassed to say), I thought since I had done a similar one, this one would be easy. I was very wrong, and at one point was told to return it as unworkable, but I felt so guilty for having the photo so long and not being able to make any progress.

So, I asked my dear friend Mary to take a look at it, and let me know what she thought. I did not want her to do any work on it, I just wanted guidance. Mary is a very good teacher :wnw:, but that means I have to be a very good student, and I'm not. I have much to learn.

I've struggled to make get the photo to this point, and I was not even sure that I would post it, but I did. Now, anyone that would like to take a crack at making it better, you are so welcome. I can send you both versions of the photo, and you can work your magic. I've lost all of mine, if I ever had any.

My email is [email protected] or [email protected] (this one I planning on changing to [email protected])

David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

Hannie

Hi David,

Just a quick note, it is almost time to go to bed here!
There are a few things that jump out when I look at the original, the lady looks up at the camera and her mouth is bigger, baby's right arm is up, baby's head is not as flat, you replaced baby's and lady's left hand with another.  I don't know how large the photo is but there may be enough detail left to repair the hands and lady's mouth?

If you try to repair what is there rather than paint over it the restore will not look as clean and new as yours does now.  I think it may be a personal thing but if it were my photo I would prefer a repaired (with all of it's flaws) version over a newly painted version. 
Again David, this is just my preference, the owner may completely disagree with me!  :mad:

Having said all this, I do think that you have come a long way on this one, chapeau!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

lurch

I've sent David an email offering to see if I can help with this one. If that's the case, I'll share the process.
<C>

weewood

Quote from: lurch on January 07, 2009, 06:21:45 PM
I've sent David an email offering to see if I can help with this one. If that's the case, I'll share the process.

Thanks, Lurch! The email and photos are on there way. I really appreaciate the help.....
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

battleaxe

Hi,
I find with the pixelated ones that using assorted paint brushes and using the smudge tool on different layers and opacities,brush the existing colours together help keep the original pic intact.
hope this helps  I'll try to find my references to digital painting, and paint brushes on the internet for you.

good luck

Mhayes

Hi David,

Please don't beat yourself up when you get a photo that is giving you grief! We all have these type of photos and it really does help to have others look at your work and give suggestions. You have titled this "Very reluctant to post!, which makes it sound like this is a last resort and something you really hate to do. Everyone has their frustrations with really difficult photos and you could have saved yourself a lot of this had you posted earlier. It looks this photo got lost in the cracks, because we try to get with volunteers when they approach having a photo for over a month to see if there are problems. We really appreciate for a volunteer to contact us and let us know that they have a bear of a problem on their hands. Sometimes it's best to turn it back before choosing another photo to work on. Plus, David I know this last year has been very hard on you with loosing your brother. We are all here on the forum to help one another, so don't let a difficult one get you down.

:hug:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

David, I can sure understand your frustration with this one. Those all-pervasive micro worm tracks have eaten up a lot of the photo's detail (like the baby's face), turning it into little more than dark and light dots. Still working at it, though - great break from all those mucked-up little sailor faces. I promise I'll keep working on the sailors, Margie - anything to stay away from kp duty :)
<C>