• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

It's raining

Started by G3User, June 04, 2008, 02:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G3User

And it looks like we might get some in central New South Wales which has been in drought for years. It also increases the time I can spend on restorations though the dog isn't happy about not getting a walk

This is very much WIP, still to complete the boy's hair and hand, the girl's dress etc.  but I need some input.

I can't decide how to repair the girl's sleeve. It appears to have a seam running down it and the lace on her shoulder seems to go into it. I would have expected it to go around to her back but I am only a bloke.

I have assumed that the object in the top rh corner is a shelf but can't decide what is in the background over the boy's head.

Does anyone have any recommendations on replicating film grain? The original is very grainy and my attempts to replicate it on the repaired areas using CS3 are not great. The tutorials I have found so far haven't been any help

Thanks

Athol

weewood

Athol, The Power Retouche plugin has a good film grain filter. It might do the trick if you have it. Your photo looks good, and you have made a lot of head way. Regards, David
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

Hannie

Athol, I think you are right about the girl's sleeve (despite the fact that you are a bloke!).  It doesn't make sense (I used to make all my girl's clothes) to have the frill stop on top of the sleeve like that but it sure looks like it does.
I'm not going to be much help, can't figure out what the thing is over the boy's head, maybe some wall hanging?  It almost looks like the boy's ear is partly covered by hair or is that damage?
I think the grain you used looks pretty good to me!
One tiny pick, the girl's pinkie is a little too long.

Great job so far, hope you are enjoying the rain!
Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Thanks for the suggestion David, I have downloaded the demo version and it shows promise.

Hannie, I am headed in the direction of a seam so will put the results up for comment in the next day or so. I think I will forget the object over the boy's head and I agree with you about the hair being over the boy's ear. I had being playing with the position of his ear and plan to extend his hair when his ear looks sensible. I need to work on both hands and you are right about the length of her finger.

Still raining, we have also had a king tide and a strong wind so there are reports of beach erosion again. At least there is rain falling in the dam catchment so we may yet see a lifting of the water restrictions.

Athol

Juliet

I think that you are being confused by a sharp, dark shadow behind the girl's sleeve. It is the kind that sometimes occurs due to the use of a flash. If you look, it continues up behind the lace on that same sleeve and behinds the bottom of her hair. The lace definitely goes around the back of the sleeve, but the shadow's damage makes it look fabric-y. I hope that helps clarify what you are seeing

kiska

Athol, this is a rough idea of some of the shapes in the pic. I got the info from the yellow channel of a cmyk copy.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Pelican

I think that Kiska has the dress, ruffle, sleeve thing solved. It appears that her dress is very full and that she slid into the chair from the side. Her dress is just kind bunched up behind her right arm. From here I would start taking samples of plaid from the front of her dress and filling in.

Curtis

G3User

Hi folks,

I am back online. I have a son in Darwin where the climate is tropical and the temperature remains at 30-32 degrees Centigrade all year round. Lots of fishing, crabbing, swimming. No wonder we decided to say longer and miss the 16-18 degree weather in Sydney

Juliet, you hit the nail on the head and I have incorporated your suggestion. Kiska, the hands follow your suggestions and if anyone tells me that hands are easier than faces I won't believe them. Curtis, as far as I am concerned plaid is easier than faces or hands.

Comments please, I think it still needs some folds in her sleeve. I noticed that there wasn't a profile attached to the image so have left as it is. Not sure what the color will be like, it looks sensible in PS3

Thanks

Athol

Hannie

Hi Athol,

For the shadows on the sleeve I would use Kiska's example.  I agree that hands are the most difficult thing to get right, you might start adding some shadows and soften of the harsh edges.

Great job!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Thanks Hannie

I had added some shading around her arm but I tend to be a bit conservative, will try harder

Athol