• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need some fashion input

Started by G3User, November 27, 2007, 07:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Hi Athol.

That looks great!  I think you have done a good job on the shading in his face, looks just like the original. :up2:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi Athol,

You have done a great job on a difficult subject, I think you problem with his ear is that it may be just a little large and too upright, in the original it seems a little tilted back at the top.

As for the cropped size, I would imagine you send it back at the current size, I don't really know I've never cropped one.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

cmpentecost

Hi Athol,

When you submit your photo, please rename it with the correct size of 10 x 6.55.  I think that would be the best way to handle this.

Your photo is looking great!  I know the owner of the photo will be thrilled with the results, and appreciative of all of your hard work.

Christine

glennab

Hi Athol

Differences in fashion opinion aside, I think your restoration is wonderful. Both of their faces could use a little more shading for shape, but I'm not an art expert so I don't know what to suggest you do to take it any further.  Christine is right – the family should be thrilled to get such a fine image pulled lovingly from the muck!  If any of these restorations were done for me I'd weep with joy.

Let me throw in a little more moral support since I was on the Biloxi copy run and I think it's good for all of you to be reminded:  the folks who came in with their photos expressed awe and amazement that anyone would care enough to be part of OPR's mission on their behalf.  Their joy in knowing that people who don't know them would put forth so much effort to give back some of their history was a highlight of the trip. Imagine what it must be like when they receive their packages.  It make me smile!

Bless

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

G3User

Thanks Hannie. In my dreams I have been thinking if it might be possible to put together a collection of face photos from front on to rear in 30 degree steps with the height of the lighting from above to below, also in 30 degree steps. It would help to be able to see how the shading on a face changes and give a guide when trying to get something lifelike. As I said, in my dreams

Thanks for the suggestion Max, I have done as you suggested and it looks much better

Have done as you suggest Christine, thanks. It is on its way

Glenna, every time I see a collar now I am going to think of you, even though you are a cat person. Thanks for the comment about those we are trying to help. I have wondered how well the images I have worked on are received, even with the less than perfect results I have achieved. Good to know

Now to front up for another one

Athol

Mhayes

Hi Athol,

A very good book that show the different effects of lighting is: The Complete Guide to Light & Lighting in Digital Photography by Michael Freeman. Since it is geared to the photographer, it may be an overkill for what you want. However, the last part of the book has a section called: The Craft of Lighting, that shows the effects of lighting on a human bust. The lights are shown in different angles and also used with and without reflectors.

Another good source would be books on drawing the human face, which would give examples of how shadows fall in relationship to the lighting.

You did a great job on a difficult photo!

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Thanks for the ideas Margie, next time I get to the local bookstores and art supply shops I will see what is available

Trying to take photos of myself with appropriate lighting is not necessarily pretty or effective.

Cheers

Athol

Ratz

Great job Athol,a bit of shading on the man's face and it'll be ready to go!

glennab

Athol, I finally bought the book called "Drawing the Head & Figure" by Jack Hamm, which was recommended by one of our top-notch restorers, who says she keeps it at her computer all the time for reference.  It's a gem, especially when it comes to shading and shaping.  I'm sure it'll be a constant companion as I battle the muck.  It's pretty basic, but I think for what we do it's perfect.  I looked at a number of other books on rendering the human figure, and I agree with my "source" that this is the most comprehensive tome without being too complicated to be useful.  I found it at both Amazon.com and at Borders (probably most book stores that have sections on art will carry this one).

Cheers!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

G3User

Hi Ratz
I have returned the photo with I hope better shading. The mans face in the original was damaged and looked like it had been overexposed so I had to be creative. Not my best

I also find that shading that looks OK on a 100% image always seems to be overdone and un-natural when the image is at it's actual size. Must remember to try toggling the image size more often in future

I can get the book you mention here Glenna, thanks for the suggestion.

With it and Karen Eismann's book here shortly, I will be set for reading for Xmas

Cheers

Athol