• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The Winona Post

Started by schen, April 25, 2008, 09:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JShimshak

There's now a VIDEO link to the story on KTTC-TV's website.
Click on the red video camera icon above the photo on the right side.

*Note: doesn't work with Macintosh, just like WXOW's website.  >:(

http://www.kttc.com/News/index.php?ID=24332

Jeremiah
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." – Steven Wright

Hannie

Great video, that was fun to watch.  Thanks for sharing this Jeremiah!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

weewood

That was a great news cast. I'm pleased that our group gets recognition.   :)
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

schen

Hey everybody, I am home.

I took the meandering roads through southwest Wisconsin.  250 miles and 6 hours later, I am finally home. 

It has been my honor and pleasure to work with our fearless leader, her two sidekicks (ahem, the two dedicated distribution coordinators), and other volunteers, especially, Mike and Jeremiah.  I learned so much on this trip and got to meet some of our clients.

The area had been raining/snowing for several weeks.  The rivers are overflowing though I did not see any house under water.  The news reported flooding around La Porte City, IA about 100 mile west.

Overflowing Kickapoo River at Gays Mills, WI

Trees don't grow in the water - Wisconsin River near Boscobel

Turkey escapee around Boscobel, WI - the Wisconsin Wild Turkey Hunt Capital
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

zinger

schen,

Thanks for posting those particular images. I was born in Beloit, WI and I have a ton of relatives in and around Gays Mills and Boscobel. I had an uncle who ran a family dairy farm in Gays Mills near the Kickapoo. Many fond memories 'flooded" my mind at seeing your pictures. Thanks.

glennab

Shujen, I'm so glad you're safely home.  Thanks for the photo history and comments along the way.  I thought the team got great press on this run (probably thanks to Jeremiah!), and all of you make me even more proud to be part of OPR than I was before.  I hope you'll share your apres-run impressions with us.  I know after Biloxi it took me a while to come back down to earth.  I'm curious as to whether you'll deal with that as well.

Job well done, my friend!

Cheers,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Charlene5

Does that river have anything to do with the expression "kikapoo juice" do you think?  I'll have to look that up.
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

cmpentecost

I'm back online, after a 24 hour respite.  Tom is talking of Gays Mills, Wisconsin, my home town.  Tom was a tremendous asset to us on the copy run, as he was the Red Cross photographer after Hurricane Katrina.

I have a lot of catching up to do, so bear with me on late responses to email and photo releases!

Chris

schen

According to Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources:

The name Kickapoo is Algonquin for "one who goes here, then there" and accurately describes the river, which flows in all directions of the compass for portions of its length.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Tess (Tassie D)

Great video and great photos. Glad everyone is home safe and sound.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

I would like to thank all those involved in the Winona copy run, and for the "Winona Post" it was a great resource for those of us at the far flung frontiers of the OPR Empire, to be able to feel involved even though we were unable to physically take part.

Hoping to see a lot more photos of the "run" and Winona in general in the new Gallery John has created, great pic from the trip home Shujen, only hope this doesn't mean Chris will have to do another run to Gay Mills in the near future.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Mhayes

Hi Everyone!

Thought I would add my 2 cents worth before this post gets cold. I would have corresponded sooner had the airlines not decided to mess with me! The other reason for my slowness is that while the others had their laptops, I was stuck with a carrier pigeon.

I do not think my delay at the airport was an accident! I think as security herds people through the chute, they are looking for sport. As with most predators, they look for the weakest or the slowest. Once they spot their prey, a spotter on the ground radios on up ahead to the connecting flight crew. I just happened to be it! Upon arrival, I was given my departure gate number, which is almost 18 gates away. Because I am already an hour late, I realize that I need to really hustle. Huffing and puffing I make it to my gate, only to hear that I need to retrace my steps and add an additional 7 gates. Back I go in a state of panic hoping I can make it. As I reach the gate, I find that they have already boarded, but have not left.  When I ask if I can board, they say No, the seat has been given to someone else. This turns out to be false, since I have a mole inside the plane by way of Jan (who is to fly out with me at O'Hare).  Jan contacts me on my cell to let me know that a passenger is departing the plane and maybe I can switch places.  Once again I try to broker a deal only to be told that the reason the passenger had to get off was because of a weight problem. If only they had needed some ballast, I might have stood a chance. (long story short—3 more hours at the airport)

Despite my bad start, the copy run was a success. With each run, I think we find ways to streamline and safe guard the process. It was rewarding to see that the majority of pictures could be restored. We did have a sweet lady whose wedding pictures of 30+ years ago, we could not salvage.  She did have a few pictures that could be restored, but not the ones she wanted the most. As her eyes filled with tears, her small grandson patted her on the arm and said: "Don't cry Grandma."

Winona County Historical Society

Shujen and Jan removing mud from an old photo.

Tom running one of the copy stands.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

mschonher

Margie,

I cannot even imagine the frustration you had to be feeling during that whole flying fiasco! That being said you gave me a good laugh this morning with the carrier pigeon comment. Between your pigeon and Chris' woodpecker, opr is going to the birds.
I'm happy you're home safe and sound.

Mary   :loveit:

Ratz

Shujen, love the photos, thanks for keeping us in the loop! If Australia wasn't so far away I'd be there!
By the way, I love your new avatar!

Hannie

Margie and Chen, thank you both so much for your contributions.  It was touching and some times very funny to read your reports. The photos are great, you are a good looking bunch!

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]