• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Blotchy Sky - Suggestions

Started by yames, August 23, 2009, 02:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yames

The sky in the upper right section of this photo appears to have water and other damage as well as a general blotchiness.  The distant branches and trees are relatively light gray, so separation of sky and tree is very difficult.  No way to tell if this was a uniform gray sky that has been damages or a cloudy sky.  Shadows on the ground are not hard and blocked up, so I'm guessing this was an overcast day, thin clouds.  Any suggestions and techniques for handling this sky?

Hannie

Not really, I would use the healing brush (not spot healing) and try to clean/smooth it out a little at the time.  I would try not to make it uniform gray.

Anyone else with tips/suggestions?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

schen

I would suggest using clone stamp tool to break the blotches into smaller pieces and then either healing brush or patch tool to remove them.

BTW, look at the "street" muffins!  Those days must be fun to walk on street.  Remind me of walking down Grand Canyon and trying to avoid all the droppings from the mulls.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Atlantis

I cannot see the photo either but I had similar problems with my scrapbookphoto's and solved them by mainly carefully patching from good areas so I would import the texture without creating a uniform gray sky. In some places I used cloning & healing on a separate adjustmentlayer. I do wish some day patching will be possible on separate layers as well (anyone from Adobe reading this???)
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

schen

I make a duplicate of the background layer and do patching on the duplicated layer.  Not the real thing but close enough.
Shujen Chen

schen

Here is the image.
Shujen Chen

lurch

Those old films had little if any sensitivity to blue, so the sky would have looked pretty uniform whether or not there were clouds. I couldn't see anything but damage blotches in the sky here. I too would use the patch tool on a duplicate layer to take them out.
<C>

Atlantis

For the record : I never ever use the patchtool or any other tool on the original. That risk is far beyond what I would dare.
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.