• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

SmithK_39_04 Review

Started by Rbm, January 26, 2014, 05:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbm

Greetings,

I think I'm about finished with this one.  Is there anything else I can do on this one or fix or modify?

Thanks,
Richard

dle

They're going to love it, Richard.

I have only two minor suggestions. The first is to consider adding some texture in the form of film grain in some of the restored areas like the lower part of Mom's skirt. In case you don't have one handy, the recipe for film grain I use (from Jonas) goes like this:

• Define a pattern 512x512px consisting of 50% gray filtered first with 2% monochrome Gaussian noise and then with 2 square mosaic.
  • Create a layer filled with this pattern with a Linear Light blending mode and clip it to the layer containing the too-smooth repaired area.
  • Adjust the scaling of the pattern and the layer opacity to match the size and intensity of the noise in the rest of the image.
  • If needed, use a layer mask to control where the added grain shows up

The second is to put some of the light and shadow detail back on her legs so that her stockings don't look quite so thick.

I really think the people are going to like your restore a lot.
Dave

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
-- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut (1953–1994)

rdshields

Richard,

I'm a newbie to OPR, and I just want to say what an incredible job you did with this image!  Can you share how you accomplished such a precise job?  I went to look at all the different channels myself, but each one was damaged quite a bit.  How did you restore with such precision in both toning out the damage on the dresses and the overal tone?     

Rose

Rbm

Hi Rose,

Thank you.  Welcome to OPR.  You're going to enjoy yourself here.  I joined OPR back in the spring of 2009.  I don't know how many restores I have done now but I have learned new skills working on each one of them.  And I have enjoyed working on each one of them.  You can learn lots of things here on the Forum.

I use lots of masks with my restores.  I create the masks by making a copy of one of the red, blue or green color channels.  On this restore I created multiple masks for the bride, veil, head, dress, each leg and each shoe.  Same for the bride's maid.  I also made masks for the sofa, pillow, lamp shade and rug.  These masks help me define the feature's edges in the damaged areas.  I then use these masks to control my patching and cloning in the damaged areas.  The masks also come in handy when I start adding area shading and feature shadows.

I hope this answered your question.

Thanks,
Richard

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]