• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Progress so far

Started by muthabord, September 10, 2011, 03:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muthabord

Hello all,

Not sure if this image is in the correct category. The way I feel about it right now, it's in a category all of it's own, if you know what I mean... :)

Anyway, here's where I am so far. I have a ton more left to do, but I would appreciate some feedback on color tones and any glaring discrepancies, etc, you all might see with fresh eyes. I still have to do his hair and eyebrows, glasses, lips and fix the skin texture. Like I said a ton of stuff still to do.

What color would you all make his hair?
What color do you think the lenses of his glasses are?
Do you all think I have the skin color/tone correct?
Also, does anyone know what the object sitting behind them on the ground is? By the leg of the cabinet? Almost looks like a champagne bottle with a plaid something coming off the neck.

Images hosted on flickr.com

Matt
scanmyoldphotos.com

Mhayes

Hi Matt,

I think you have done a good job on the background, but what would would help you get better coloring on grandpa and baby is to do what Kiksa has posted in the forum several times. With your background layer, duplicate and then go to your channels and see which of the 3 have better info. In this case the green and blue are the best and I would go with the blue since the green channel will make his glasses too dark.

1.  Click on the blue channel and Select all--by short cut keys: Ctrl A or Mac is Cmd A
2.  Copy what you have just selected: Ctrl C
3.  While in channels, go up and click back on the RGB and then go back to your layers pallette
4.  Now paste what you have just copied of the blue channel on your top layer: Ctrl V
5.  Go up to the color mode menu and change to Luminosity

Between your current restore and working with the blue channel, you will be able to use a layer mask to keep the best of both. You may have to do some color correcting still.

I think you will now see the true color of the skin on both. I think the lens are yellow and what is in the corner may be baby's bag as one part looks like a blanket. (the other a bottle of wine for everyone else when the baby cries---OK, don't know on that one.)

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hi Matt,

Here is another helpful post that if you go to the 2nd page you will see some links that Bambi posted: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,3330.15.html

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

You could use the blue channel as Margie suggested and then replace the too dark glasses with the glasses from the green channel. (layer mask)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

muthabord

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of did the same thing you all suggested, only I did it in a round about way. I like your way much better. Still working on this, but here's where I am so far.

Image hosted on flickr.com
Matt
scanmyoldphotos.com

lurch

Matt, it's coming along very well, except I think the man's glasses are really yellow, very close to the color in the original. As far as the stuff on the floor is concerned, what I see is a box or book and a bag, with the curved leg of the chest behind the box. Your skin tones are much improved over the first WIP. Nice job, overall.
<C>

Hannie

Great job Matt, this was not an easy restore!

Somehow I kept seeing colored objects in a B/W photo but I couldn't quite figure out why.
Then I thought of a tip I once got from another OPR volunteer who said that dark shades should have an ever so faint purple coloring.  (outdoor)

I tried that on the black chair and it seems to work at least some.

Or should it be blue reflecting off his shirt?

(I increased Vibrance in skin color some)

Hannie

Purple:

Blue:

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

muthabord

Thank you all for the feedback. Hannie, the blue/purple filters suggestion you gave me do look good. Makes the colors look richer.

Here's what I have come up with. Hope you all are happy with it.

Let me know if it passes muster and I will upload to photoshelter.

Thanks, Matt
Matt
scanmyoldphotos.com

muthabord

So every time I looked at this image, something just didn't look right. Then I realized I had a run away noise layer that I had mistakenly merged. So I kind a started again, with the man and baby and used what I could from the original. Better... I think.

Matt
scanmyoldphotos.com

Mhayes

Hi Matt, I think it looks great. I really can't see the difference between the two, but maybe with full resolution it is more apparent.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Bambi

Matt, you used my favorite technique—starting over. It sounds like a terrible idea, but the second time around I know exactly what to do (or not do), I can proceed with confidence and the finished restoration is always better. And it takes a fraction of the time. Great job!

Bambi

muthabord

Thank you all, for the kind words...
Matt
scanmyoldphotos.com