• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

would love some feedback

Started by urbangranolagirl, September 11, 2006, 07:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbangranolagirl

Hi,

ALMOST done! This one turned out to me a bit more challenging than expected (I can't remember if it was a moderate or dificult), or i'm just being too nitpicky. The file is very large. I think it is to be printed 16x20, so I was trying to take extra care with details. Areas that I'd love to hear opinions on:

• Blotchiness (some of it got worse due to JPG compression...)
  • Overall Color - still  too yellow ?
  • Background - eventoned?

Thanks.
-urbangranolagirl
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spychic/

Kenny

I think it looks fantastic!  :up:

I would leave it as is, personally. It captures the spirit of the original, which is our mission here.

Good job!

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi!

My only concern is with the greenish cast over his hat and the unevenness of the blur at the top.  I wonder if you could follow the contours of his hat and shoulders, select the portion of him that's sharp, and build a circular or oval shape above him at the top - going from the dark color to the gold, giving it a large feather, but keeping the same dark shade close to him as is in the rest of the restoration.  Or another possibility would be to have the feathered edge follow the contours of his upper body with the darker color and maybe slightly uneven, as it is on the bottom.  I believe this would be fairly simple to accomplish on a separate layer.

I know what I mean - I hope this makes sense to you.  Kinda hard to explain.

I think admin will take care of any overall color issues before they print the final restoration, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The soldier himself looks great.  Nice job.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

urbangranolagirl

hi glennlab.

Yes, I think I know what you mean. I was considering creating a new background in the manner you suggest, (i think)  but I worry it may not blend with the texture of the image.  You can't see too well here, but i looks like a thick fiberbased paper that's been colorized with colored pencil.  maybe as an opacity overlay? It looks like a green-bluish cast in the orig, but that could be a partial result of the water/sun damage...

It could use some more gold and evenness on left side. I think I'll try and play with it some more tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions!

-jennifer

milanab

i agree with kenny on this one i would not replace the background....that is how the original looked, that is how these type images were.  they were on the heavy pressed paper, we have several like that, i believe the green is original, and doesn't need to be corrected.   we don't want to change the feel of the image...it needs the old character to remain true..  great restoration
without faith...there is no hope

glennab

Hi again

If you have a textured look and you think the green is original rather than damage (my impression was damage), then I'd have to concur that you'd be better off to leave the restoration as is.  I'm not sure there'd be a way to create a new gradient without degrading the texture.  Opacity might work, but I think you'd still lose some of the look.

You can also check with your team leader and see what they'd do if you still have doubts.

Good luck!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

paula

I think it looks perfect.  Don't change a thing. :up2:

marylou