• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Getting close, I think - I hope

Started by Atlantis, April 16, 2008, 07:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

Thanks to having restored this boys younger self I could use his nose, eye and hair and transform it a little to transplant to the more damaged older boy.
I think I'm getting closer to the finish but need to figure out the shape of his rightarm/hand, elbow and the crossed legs. Plus the shadows underneath are not ready at all.
Last but not least : the striped shirt. I already decided that the brownish yellow is probably damage. But how to get the striped pattern look natural ... ?

The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Hannie

Hi Atlantis,

Great you were able to use his younger photo for spare parts, great job you did!
I can't figure out if his right leg is pulled up or if it is his left leg crossed over the right one.  I really don't think it matters for the end result anyways seeing the area is too dark to see the difference.
I think you already pretty much have the shape of his arm right, just a matter of finishing the repair?
There is one very small pick I have about his hair line on the forehead.  I hope you don't think I'm a muggenzifter but I think there is some more forehead showing on our left side?
Insignificant pick on an otherwise fabulous restore Atlantis!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

cmpentecost

Wow!  This is coming along great!

Chris

jneil2

Nice job.  He is looking great.

Stripes and plaids are a pain in the neck, aren't they!

Jan

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi Atlantis, you have this one coming along great, with stripes what I find works best for me if the damage is extensive is to make a new layer then trace over all the visible stripes in their colour at 100% opacity. Where the stripes are covered by damage you just have to wing it. I you are like me and not good at painting straight lines or following existing lines, I use the click/shift method. set your brush to the width of the stripe using a medium soft brush, then click on the beginning of the stripe and the holding down the shift key (PC) keep clicking along the stripe, it is like using the pen tool for selection, you can get around the curves in short moves.

After you have traced all your stripes switch off that layer and repair the damaged item in its background colour, you then turn on the stripes layer and adjust the opacity to suit, to make it softer you can run a blur on the stripes layer, and it you need to vary the opacity of the strips in some areas fade them by using the eraser at a very low opacity.

I use much the same method for retaining the shading of folds and creases.

For areas of plaid!! Make your own arrangements. :funny:

Hope this helps a bit.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Atlantis

Max thanks for the stripetrick. I'm a bad painter indeed, especially when I want the lines to be straight. I will certainly try it your way  :wnw:.
And Hannie, I love it when you muggenzift  :P ! How did you get his hair so cute, it looks so much better, less wiggish. Did you use one of the liquify tools??
This is one of those photo's that need to be done step by step to prevent a painterly look and remain as photorealistic as possible.

cmpentecost

Nice tip on doing the stripes Max!  If only plaid was that easy!

Chris

Hannie

Atlantis, I used the original photo as an example to copy the strand of hair on his forehead, just cloned a little from his own hair on the left.  Then a little smudge with a soft edged brush at 85%, also on the rest of the fringe on his forehead and temple.  I smudged in both directions (skin to hair as well).
I used a 15% dodge/burn to paint in the highlights s and shadows in the new hair lock.  Finished of by smudging the hard edges at the tips with the splatter brush at 60%. (also slightly toned down the highlights in the rest of the hair.)

What a long story for just a wisp of hair!

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Atlantis

I tried & tried, started over many times but did not manage to get the same cute hairdo as Hannie did. It got to be to frustrating so I did something a little like it, finished the rest as good as I'm able to, sent it home and hope for the best. I'll add the B&A to the gallery asap.