• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Getting rid of white lines...

Started by Patre, February 01, 2008, 02:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patre

Hi all
I don't know if there is a clean and easy way to eliminate the white lines in this image.
I do know that with a lot of work and tedious repair I can repace them with the real image features.
However, maybe there is a simpler less time consuming technique that accomplishes the same thing.
I have tried using the dust & scratches filter,median etc., with no success. A selective color adjustment isn't any better. The FFT filter doesn't look like it works on this kind of damage.
I will surrender to the inevitable when I am certain that I haven't overlooked a more efficient and less
time consuming alternative.
Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,
Pat

Ratz

Hi Pat,
I haven't been able to find a simple way with this kind of damage, I usually plod on the tedious way, but maybe someone else knoes a better way. Not much help..sorry.

Patre

Ok, Thanks,Ratz..
Sometimes the only way around the block really involves taking the less desired route.

truckersau

Pat.
What I do in this situation is copy a section from near the damage and then blend it over the damaged part.
I just did a very quick job (about one minute) on the right hand side window as a sample.
See below.

I find this is better then just trying to clone marks out, as this gives better texture.
Your photo looks to have a lot of clear parts that can be used as replacement pieces.
I hope this helps a bit.

klassylady25

Found this on DP Review.  It may help with some of the smaller dust/scratches. 

How to actually use the filter "Dust & Scratches"
A lot of people have probably tried the Dust and Scratches in Photoshop and found it useless. Here I will try to explain how to actually use this filter in a good way.
1. Open picture

2. Duplicate layer (ctrl+j)
3. Zoom to 100 % (ctrl+alt+0) on the area with the most dust and scratches (100 % is important here)
4. From the menu: Filter -> Noise -> Dust & Scratches

5. Set Radius to 1 and Threshold to 0

6. Turn up the radius till the dust and scratches is all gone
7. Adjust the Threshold till you get back the grain in the picture. Try to get the Threshold as high as possible without getting the dust and scratches back.
8. Press ok

9. And now an important point:
a. If the dust is black (a scanned dias): set blend mode on this layer to "Lighten"
b. If the dust is white (a scanned negative): set blend mode on this layer to "Darken"
10. Add a Hide all Layer mask (black mask)
11. Pick a soft, white brush and paint on the mask to remove all unwanted spots. Big surfaces you can completely paint the mask white.

Big spots are best removed with another tool like the clone tool or the healing brush.

Patre

Thanks,klassyylady, for your comprehensive reply. That is a method I will have to try.
I am placing your suggestion in my tutorial file.
Pat

klassylady25

You're welcome Pat.  It's in my Tutorial file also.  I tried it on some of my trials and it works pretty well.  Still it is subjective to the amout of damage.  Isn't it always!?  :o)

Ratz

Thanks Candy,that's a method I have read before, but never sat down and tried, will have to give it a go.

mschonher

Candy and Patre,

What a brilliant idea to have a tutorial file. I just started one right now with your tutorial Candy....why didin't I think of this before?

Thanks................Mary :up:

Ausimax

Thats what I do, I save the pages into a folder "OPR Tips" in the folder where I do all my OPR restoration work, now all I have to do is one day track down all those great tutorials that went before I started doing this. :-[

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hi Candy

Great tut on dealing with dust & scratches.  It's definitely going in my tips & tricks folder!  Thanks for the great information.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)