• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Reconstruction Through Compositing

Started by dle, March 25, 2014, 04:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dle

As time has allowed, I've been working on this wedding photo:

As you can see, there is a good deal of damage. Since the bride's head is seriously impacted, this restoration would be beyond my capabilities if there were no reference images from which to "borrow." Luckily, there were several, including this one:

Compositing these together, including the bride's face, I have arrived at this point:

Since this is still a work in progress, and I've probably now stared at it so long I that can no longer see the obvious, I'd value your input.
Dave

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
-- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut (1953–1994)

Bambi

:cool: Wow! It does help to have good reference, but that's just the start. You've done an incredible job of putting it all back together. Just beautiful. the only thing I can see is the man on our right's forehead and a little discoloration on the paneling on the right by his shoulder. Great job, David!

Bambi

dle

Thanks for the compliment, Bambi, and also for the advice. I've messed with the discoloration on the paneling and had a go at smoothing the gentleman's forehead. Here's the second WIP:

Time to send it in? Does something else stick out?
Dave

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Chris.

Looks good !

Worked on a few with that paneling, can be a pain. Only thing I might would alter abit, is the wide solid dark brown section of paneling, above the guy on the rights shoulder. Looking at the other two, and the one from the other pic, it might could stand to be darkened up abit to match. But maybe thats just me, and I hate nitpicking other peoples work.  :-\  ;D

Chris

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once... A. Einstein

Mhayes

Dave, what a great job you have done and what a bonus to have a decent reference photo. The only thing that really caught my eye is the color of the man's shirt on your right being blue. The original before color correcting shows the man's shirt as white. When these photos were color corrected there were problems because the bride's gown would not look white. In this case I think it pushed his shirt to the wrong color and also the candle sticks were closer to white. I can post the original without color correction if you like?

As to the paneling, that is a total nightmare and one reason we felt that we had to have all of the photos color corrected the same way so that as a collection they would match.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

Margie, I just checked the pre-color-corrected files and the man on the right is wearing a blue shirt. the only one at the wedding.

Bambi

Mhayes

Thanks Bambi, then blue it is.  :)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

RAPATA

Quote from: Bambi on March 25, 2014, 05:17:46 PM
:cool: Wow! It does help to have good reference, but that's just the start. You've done an incredible job of putting it all back together. Just beautiful. the only thing I can see is the man on our right's forehead and a little discoloration on the paneling on the right by his shoulder. Great job, David!

Bambi

We have done couple of these Bambi...:):)

dle

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I've left the man's shirt blue, and made the wide board above his shoulder darker and browner to more closely match the reference photos. Here's where I came out:

Time, I think, to move to the next one. Thanks for the help!
Dave

Chris.

Looks great ! They should love it.  :)
Chris

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once... A. Einstein