• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Going Wireless

Started by Tori803, October 02, 2010, 10:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tori803

This is off-topic, but I'm going to set up a wireless network at home and seem to remember some discussions on the Forum about problems that develop with accessing the Forum (or other sites) after installing a router.

Does anyone have any warnings before I upgrade?

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Hannie

Hi Tori,

Can't think of any problems regarding forum access after setting up wireless home network.
When I set up mine I did have a little bit of general Internet access problems, not just the OPR forum.  It had to do with ZoneAlarm (firewall) sticking its nose where it shouldn't.  My router has an inbuilt firwall like function so I deinstalled Zone Alarm. 
(Windows firewall works well too.)

One thing that is very important with a wireless network is security, check the the best one, WPA (even better, WPA2). 

I had huge problems with my file and printer sharing after I installed the wireless home network.  I was finally able to share the printer but the file sharing still doesn't work (except for the "public" folder, which is useless)
These problems all had to do with the fact that my home network consists of Windows XP. Windows Vista and Windows 7 machines, all in one network.  The culprit is Windows 7.  It has all these wizards and options to make things easier, yes easier, only if the other machine is also Windows 7!

Good luck with setting up your network!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Thanks Hannie. I'll be trying to use Windows Vista and Windows 7. I suppose I'd better do some homework on Windows 7 first.

Security advice is a good reminder too - I'll be sure to double-check.

Tori
Tori

Mhayes

Hi Tori,

I updated to Windows7 because I had downloaded PhotoShop CS5 and Windows XP would operate on 64 bit. One thing let to another with a purchase of a new computer, but then the fun began. I am on Wi-Fi and have been for maybe 3 years. I noticed that I was having some problems with speed and also when I would type emails, my typing would outpace what was showing. Turns out my Wi-Fi needed to be upgraded to a newer one that would work with Windows 7. Now everything works great. I did have to upgrade and antenna to help with better reception. I really like the one from Verizon as it plugs into your Wi-Fi with an adapter and cord to a small antenna---really helped on reception. Even my old antenna had to be replaced. All of this because I upgraded to CS5. I think I would have been money ahead to have waited, but the new computer has so much more memory and is really fast.

I would check to see how many towers you have in your area. In mine, Verizon outnumbered everyones and some of the others use the Verizon towers. The other thing you need to do and this is only if you are updating is to go to your programs and remove the old driver. With my new Wi-Fi, as soon as I put in in the USB port on my tower, instructions will walk you through installing your driver.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Thanks Margie. It's good to know what issues may need to be addressed, and that there are solutions that aren't too confusing!

Tori
Tori