• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hello and a double-check

Started by cdm2007, October 18, 2007, 04:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdm2007

Hi...

My name is Chris and I just joined up.  So, I thought I would say hello and also double-check to see if I'm doing things the right way around here.  I just finished my first photo restoration, and though I'm not sure if it's "difficult," it was at least very much so for me.  :)  This is really the first time I've done any photo restoration work on anything but my own family photos, so I wanted to share what I've done before I uploaded the final version to see if everyone though I was on the right track.

Anyway, it's a pleasure to be here...
Thanks,
Chris

p.s.  I added a print to the dress *only* to help give the reconstructed sections a little depth and perspective.

Before:

After:

kiska

Looks good. I would darken the background around the woman, soften the line under her left eye and maybe blur and lighten the pattern you added to make it less obvious or remove it. Great work so far.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

phischer

Hello and welcome,
I think you will find that this is the best way to learn new tips and tricks.  I've learned so much in the few months I've been here just by posting works in progress and getting feedback from everyone here. There is a lot of talent and you will also find, a lot of opinions.
I think you've done a great job with this so far. I'd be careful about that pattern that you've added though. Is it a pattern that you think was on the original dress or is it something that you've added because you think it helps the image?  Personally, I don't see any evidence of it in the original, so I would do away with it. I don't have access to the hi-res file, though, so I can't say for sure.
Other than that I would add a slight levels adjustment and I would try to lighten her right side of her face a bit with the dodge tool.  That whole area currently blends in a bit with the background. There seems to be an overall darkness remaining in that area. I'd smooth out the background there a bit too.  Good start! Keep it up.
This is all just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Tess (Tassie D)

:up2: A great job so far. I agree with darkening the area beside the woman and a bit at her feet as well.

Welcome to the forum.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

cdm2007

Thank you for all the great advice...now that I stand back from it, I think you all are absolutely correct...I'll spend some more time with the lighting and background smoothing.

As for the added pattern, I do think it looks too contrived now.  However, in the original photo, I think there are signs that the dress was incredibly detailed, probably taffeta with a scalloped pattern done in lace or cotton with small buttons woven in.  Here's a close-up of part of the picture after I restored the major damage...the details on the dress on the left are from the original.

I was a little afraid to try and reproduce the intricate details over the entire recreated portion of the picture because I wasn't sure I could imitate the flow of the material accurately.  But, I didn't want to erase what remained and leave her in a plain white cotton dress either.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

Mhayes

Hi Chris,

Very nice job and welcome to the group. I can't add much to the good advice already given. I think if you could either blur or lighten your pattern, it would look detailed but it wouldn't stand out so much.

Margie 
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Johnboy

Welcome Chris. You have come to the right place for help. I think you have a great start. I also agree with the comments of the others.

Johnboy

glennab

Hi Chris and welcome!

The dress is beautiful, but in the original it looks as if it's patterned, and your version looks like eyelet.  I think you're really close with her face, but here's something to pull out a little more of the detail.  I don't know how effective it'll be because I only worked with the low-res version, but I think even that would allow you to tweak the few areas that look just a little bit "off."  Use your original, dupe the background layer and set the blend mode to screen.  It lightens her face just enough to get a better idea of her visage.

I love the recreation of her hand.  It looks very realistic; not painted.  That takes talent!  Nice work.

Bless,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Hi Chris!

Welcome to the forum, great to have you work with us!
You definitely are a great artist, the hand looks fabulous.  Maybe you could make both hands match a little more more in color.
I can see that the original pattern of the dress will be very hard to copy in the restored area.  If that is not possible I would make the "new" pattern much fainter and give it a little blur after, so it is almost not there.
There is an area just under her raised arm and also behind her left side (on our right) where the background could use a little burn.
You have done an amazing job on a very difficult photo!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

cdm2007

Hi all...thank you for the constructive advice and complements.  I've done my best to put it all into the photograph and think it's turned out quite nicely.

As for the dress pattern, I spent a little more time on it, making a series of brushes for both the print and the buttons, applying them as best I could, and then liquifying the result to mimic the flow of the dress.  I then blurred and faded them to match the remainder of the dress.  I'm pleased with the outcome.  Anyway, I wanted to share the final version before I uploaded it.

Thanks for the complement about her left hand...it's really my mother's.   ;)

Best,
Chris

schen

Awesome  :up:  :up:

I love the restored dress.  We seem to have a few great plastic surgeons here.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mhayes

Chris,

You did a wonderful job on the dress!!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

The dress is amazing!   :wnw:

Hannie