• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Harmonizing through the Ages

Started by haleygd, June 04, 2010, 05:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haleygd

Start on my next project from the same family. Experimenting with the new bristle brushes on the boys hair and have a ways to go but having fun. Slowly making progress on the other areas....

Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

glennab

Gary, it looks to me as if the bristle brushes are working very well.  I can't wait to get back to my restoring (I'm looking for work right now) to try all the new CS5 tools & techniques.

I have access to lynda.com for a month (for registering Acrobat 9; I just got my CS5 this week), so I'm trying to get as much information from their tutorials as I can.  And then it's off to Kelby Training for more studies.  I'm especially wondering if the content-aware functions will help as much as I anticipate they will.  Have your tried content aware? Are the brushes as versatile as they look?

Back to your restoration.  It looks really good at this point.  Does appear that you'll have your hands full with the little guy's face.  Good luck with that!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

haleygd

The content aware feature(s) are good and even better with isolated damage. But it won't work everywhere. I have found that if you brush 90 degrees (perpendicular) to a line/edge, the line/edge is better protected. Coming at it from more horizontal angles will tend to blend the line/edge just like the "old" healing brush. I am only now starting to work with the new bristle brush tips, let alone the new mixer brush itself. Big thing will be learning to angle the brush. Trying to get used to tilting my tablet pen to do that.

I will be saving the fun/hard part (the face) for last. I think the only significant challenge will be around the ear and neck line. The blue channel is pretty good in these areas so I will have a reference point to work from. I have gotten the bottom of the coat fixed and am working on grandma now. Next version to be displayed will be once the lower left of the photo is done.
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

haleygd

And so here is the next progress check as promised. I still have to work on the towel/headrest and then grandma will be done. The boy's harmonica is well defined in the blue channel so I will probably bring that out first when starting on his face.

haleygd

Ok, need some help here... Trying to figure out how the coat's hood is laying on his shoulder. I outlined in red where I initially thought it was but in looking at it now I am seeing another option too (though if that is it then I am not sure about the vertical orange stripe...) Not much else to do on this wet Sunday afternoon so I have been plugging away on this, with plenty of breaking to give the fingers and eyes a break.

Tori803

It's hard to see the hood. It might be one that unzips down the middle, but if not, it might look like this: http://www.fansedge.com/Cleveland-Browns-Full-Zip-Hooded-Parka-Jacket-_718686107_PD.html?pgrabber=51-77172

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Hannie

Looking great so far Gary!

Maybe this image of the blue channel can be of some help?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

haleygd

Thanks Hannie and Tori. I have been studying the blue channel for divine guidance. I don't see any bunching in the back which makes me believe it is indeed a zippered hood and it is lying flat. I am thinking the vertical orange strip might be the velcro neck enclosure. I'll keep plugging away...

haleygd

Ok, here goes... What do you think?

Tori803

I think the hood looks quite realistic - good job!

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

glennab

Gary, overall a great job.  My only pick would be that his hair looks too much like a helmet, and I think it should be back off of his neck a bit - that's based on the hairline you can see in Hannie's blue channel rendition. The hair is just a little flatter down the back, it appears to me that there's more graduated light from front to back, and it's not quite as uniform in shading.  I noticed that in your very first post, the hair looks closer to the original to me.  I hate to say anything about hair, because it's such a battle for me, but "I calls 'em like I sees 'em."

Your recovery of the hood shape looks fantastic, and I think everything else looks good.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

haleygd

Thanks for the input Glenna, I'll take another crack at it tomorrow.

haleygd

Ok, thinking this one's better... even threw in an ear for free! lol  :D

Hannie

Great ear Gary!
I believe the boy's chin is just a little less pronounced and the ear down and back just a few notches?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

haleygd