• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Restoration vs. Re-creation

Started by BlackSlate, October 28, 2006, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSlate

Hi All:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/Blackslate/AlaynickD_5_1_Restore.gif

This was my second restoration and it really required a lot of detailed meticulous work throughout the entire photograph. I think I'm finished with it (or burned out on it maybe  :)), and I wanted to get some feedback on the issue of Restoration vs. Re-creation.

For the most part, I don't like re-creating or painting something that is not there to begin with. If a face is all but obliterated except for the eyes let's say, I don't think I should add a nose or mouth.  I don't mind recreating or painting areas of no real detail. And when possible, I will find other images that match the objects or details in the photo and paste and blend them in. Otherwise, the best I can do is to "bring out" what is left and clean the image up as much as possible.
I also like keeping the edges, or part of the background, less than perfectly "clean" to keep the original look of an old or damaged photograph.

So how do the rest of you handle this issue? Do you ever feel like you are taking the restoration too far? Do you leave some damage more or less "as-is" or do you strive to make it completely perfect by recreating or painting over?

cmpentecost

Hi Blackslate,

For what you had to work with, I think you did a fabulous job.  I think you are right to not "re-create" a face, when you don't have adequate information to begin with.  You worked with what you had, which appears to be a very old picture to begin with.  The only suggestion I would make is to give it a sepia tint, to maintain the "aged" appearance of the photo.

Nice job!

Christine

glennab

Hi BlackSlate

I'll second Chris's comments.  You did a wonderful job with what was there.  And our "mandate" is to keep the photos as authentic as possible.  Adding anything or anyone not discernable would denigrate what we're trying to accomplish.  My opinion is that you nailed it in that respect.

I think I'd try to do a little more clean-up on the people seated at the ends of the front row where you can tell that there's a hand, or shoe or whatever. Not to paint in what's not there but to smooth a little more of the damage and bring out what you can.

Nice work on a very tough restoration!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

OPRAng

Hi BlackSlate,

Firstly great job on a tough one! Nice restoration!

Your philosophy matches that of OPR. It is the memory we are trying to restore--not recreate perfection. We can't erase the disaster the photo and its owner has lived through, all we can is try to restore what we can.

You've done amazing work. Please keep it up!!!

Talk to you soon,
Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

ReactionStudios

Good Job on the restore!  :up:

I have found this thread informative. Being a new member to OPR, I too have been asking myself the same question. Good thread, thanks.

|shawn|