• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Leah M - Take One

Started by Leah M, October 27, 2006, 07:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leah M

Hi folks :)

I've been working on an 8x10 colour photo and need something of a reality check on it as well as some input/ideas on an object.

Original Photo - http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g131/leanansi/ForetR_6_3_8x10-OPR.jpg

Close Up - original - http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g131/leanansi/sister-crop-orig.jpg

Close Up - WIP - http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g131/leanansi/sister-crop.jpg

As you can see ffrom the original full shot, there's barely anything not contaminated by damage and I've had to search underneath the mire to get at any details.  Have I overworked it judging by the Nun's face?

I think I see the crucifix of a Rosary underneath her left hand, lying on her lap and perhaps Rosary beads falling over the back of her left hand.  They would make sense, but the beads don't seem heavy duty enough for a Religious Sister.  I've left a rough cut of the perceived crucifix as a layer on the WIP copy.  If it were to be left there as authentic, I'd have to rework the hands a little which is no biggie.

I think these items are important because the photo suggests that this was a portrait of her with her family on the day of her final vows .. evidenced by the wedding band on her finger.

Input would be much appreciated

Many thanks :)

Leah M

Kenny

Hi Leah,

I don't think you've overworked it at all. You're lucky in that the original appears to have been colorized. Old school colorizing makes pictures look somewhat painted, so that at least would make it easier to restore in my opinion.

I can't offer much in the way of help on the rosary, I don't know much about Catholicism. I can say you're doing a wonderful job with it and wish you luck. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Kenny  :)

But why is the rum gone?

Ausimax

Leah,

I'm with Kenny on this one, you are doing well, you don't have much undamaged detail to work with, and it's all in RGB there is not much to help in channels, as it is you are seeing a lot more detail than I can, I am sure it will look just great when you finish.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Dave

Leah,

I think it's great that you're taking on this challenge and while it pains me to say it, I think this is a lost cause. This photo should have never been accepted by OPR in the first place.

Becky, Mike and I have all talked about this issue in regards to future copywork runs. We have to be more realistic about which photos are worth taking on and which ones are beyond our capabilities.

I can tell you firsthand, that when we're taking these photos in it can be hard to turn anything away. However, if we are going to be truly successful in our mission we have to recognize our own limits.

In looking at the photo, I would say that 95% (probably more) of the important information is obliterated. There's nothing to build from. Out of the four people pictured, I can only make out the facial features of the woman on the left. We'd be building faces from scratch for the other three and that wouldn't be true to the memory that this image holds.

You have my complete blessing to do as you see fit. Give it your best shot or return it unchanged. We will let the image owner know the outcome either way.

Again, thank you for even having the courage to attempt such an epic restoration.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Leah M

Thank you to you all :)

Dave, I would like to continue with OPR's blessing and the knowledge that the result will be a little more" impression of" rather than true restore.  The nun's eyes and mouth are original to the photo, the same for the man in brown.

I'll keep working on them and see how it comes together as a 'portrait'.

Leah M

Leah M

Hi again

I've had to let it go.  I'm a restorer rather than an artist so I tidied up a little and left it at that.  If the owners confirm that the crucifix and beads are supposed to be there, I can replace them, but not knowing either way, I was stuck and couldn't get past it.  My airbrushing skills are minimal so rather than hash it further, it may well be a perpetual WIP.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g131/leanansi/ForetR_6_3_8x10-lfin-sm.jpg

I can only hope that it does evoke some meaningful memories for the owner of the photo.  Just sorry I couldn't do more.

Leah M

glennab

Hi Leah

I just wanted to tell you that what you pulled up from that damaged mess is remarkable.  And even after Dave gave you the okay to let it go, the fact that you wanted to do what you could is awesome.  When I saw your post I was stunned that anyone would even be willing to give it a try, and I had absolutely no idea how to give you any suggestions or feedback.

I think you deserve much credit for your spirit and effort!

Best wishes

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Leah M

Thank you GG .. that means a lot to me.

I've been feeling pretty darned disappointed to be honest.  In excess of 40 hours and hoping like crazy I could pull something off that would be worth something.

No regrets though.  I'd do it again :)

Leah M

Kenny

Hi Leah,

You've done a wonderful job on this one.

I'm afraid the few remaining images are going to be like this. They are in such bad shape we will only be able go so far with them. I know it's frustrating when you can't get an image back to where you'd like. I've had to resign myself to the fact that I've done the best I could do with some of these.

The owners will be happy to have any improvement over what they had.

If we hang in there and knock these last few out, we'll soon have some newer, less damaged ones to work on. Every one of these really bad ones I do I think "well, that's one less to do".

Good job on this one, though.  :up:

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?