• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Help Plesae

Started by PaulD, February 23, 2010, 11:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulD

Hi
I'm not sure how to get the blue off, around the fence, ladder and on the house.
I've been using the clone tool, but Just wander if theres a better way.
The blue really shows up at 100% or more.

This is what I've done so far.

Thanks,
Paul

Hannie

Hi Paul,

You have done great repairs already!  I think what you have done works well, the only faster way I can think of is to paint but the result wouldn't be anyway near as good as what you have now. 
Cloning from nearby good areas preserve the shadows and grain in a very natural way.

(You may want to do a little more levels/curves adjustment before you clone.  Adjusting color after cloning may show unwanted cloning marks.)

great job,

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

PaulD

Johnboy

Paul,

The other possibility is the Patch tool. You might also try the Healing brush. The patch tool has to be used on the background layer. The advantage there is you might be able to claim larger territory, but not always. The healing brush can be used on a separate layer, but put this layer above any color correcting layers or the results look bad. The thing I have learned recently is the healing brush can be unlinked so you can sample an area and it will return to the sampled area each time you click on a new spot. Both tools will try to match the tones to the surroundings in the area being patched or healed. The patch tool is more labor intensive as you have to circle the damage and move it to a clean area. It will also work where you sample the source and move it to the damage. Advantages and disadvantages to both. With the healing brush you can many times just sample and click away on the spots. If you use the healing brush linked it will follow the cursor like a puppy on a leash. Again advantages and disadvantages to linking and unlinking the healing brush.

I did a lot of my earlier restores using the Patch Tool a lot. The problem with both tools is that if you are at an edge where different tones meet you can get odd artifacts. I found with the patch tool, if I get a little of both areas or get as close to where the tones meet then move the tool parallel along the edge to the good tone you can get a good patch without the artifact. It works most of the time. I'd say more often than not.

Johnboy

Tori803

Paul,
You might also try the color-replacement-tool (under the brush tool). Use these settings: Mode: Color; Sampling: Continuous; Limits: Contiguous; Tolerance: 5%; Anti-alias: checked.
Hold down the Alt key (Windows) and click on the color you want to use. Release the alt key and brush over the color you want to replace. Of course, I'd duplicate the background layer first, just in case I didn't get the results I wanted.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Paul,

How bad is the blue on the house? From Hannie's correction, I get the feeling that the house may be a grayish blue in color and looks pretty consistent.  On the fence, a certain amount of blue could be shadows, but if you have too much blue, you could duplicate your layer and add a Hue/Saturation Adjustment layer. On that layer, go to blue and pull the slider to the left on saturation and also for the lightness part, pull the slider to the right. While still on this duplicate layer, do a conceal all on as a layer mask.Next change your foreground to white and paint back in the parts of the fence that you changed.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

OR, I used Hannie's version, you can add a layer and set it to color, sample the  trim white and paint over the siding. About 50% opacity. Don't overlook the 'pink' boards above the guy's head.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

Kiska, this looks really good!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]