• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Candy's Work - III & IV

Started by klassylady25, June 04, 2007, 12:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klassylady25

I'm not sure my posts are coming through but this is one that I've been working on.   See the next post as to the work thus far.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/664/06172007165218nn4.jpg

klassylady25

Linking code copied to clipboard. 

http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=06172007134121uz4.jpg

As you can see I'm reworking this for about the 1000 time, or so it seems.  I'm do this is in B/W at present time to get the details right and not worry about the color.  I will colorize at the end.  I've got the texture where I want it and now will start the reconstuction of the face.  Keep your fingers crossed.   

Hugs  :hug:

klassylady25

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/8409/06172007231405lr5.jpg
Linking code copied to clipboard

I'm on the track that I want to be but I'm going to bed... Still a long way to go..........  :wow:

glennab

Hi Candy

Your second iteration is great.  You still have the texture and the photo looks integrated.  I think you smoothed him too much on the last image, and you've lost some of his features (they don't look as angular to me in the original.)  I wish I knew how to get from one step to the other, get more detail but still keep the "grainy" look, but I'm not that far along in my learning process yet.  I am aware that your last post looks more like a painting than a photo.  Some of our gurus need to step up and give us some tips and tricks.  You took on a real toughie.  I'd just go back a step and try to keep more of the texture, even if his features aren't quite as defned.

You're awesome for taking on this one!

Hugz,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Thanks Glenna.  I was seriously wondering is anyone was seeing these posts.  This picture is like working in reverse.  I'm working on the features presently.  I go back and forth and forth and back, if that makes sense.  :o)  Always toggling between original and work.  I was able to collect a pattern of the skin before moving in this direction, hoping that once the features are restored that I can use that pattern to help restore a bit of the skin texture.  Like you, I'm not far enough in my training to jump streams yet, but I am teaching myself so I'm limited... but I read a lot!!  LOL

Again thanks Glenna, I use the 'test' that you sent to look for features by the way.  :o) 

Hugz,
Candice

glennab

Hi Candy

Someone on the forum -- unfortunately I can't remember who or where -- discussed doing exactly what you said you plan to do, i.e. using a pattern to get the texture back into your guy's face if you should cover it.  Katrin Eismann explains in her restoration book how to create your own brush to render skin texture (I believe it was in the most current one).  She might have information on her web site since she has tutorials and tips and tricks.  Meanwhile, I'll see if I can find the information in my book.

I'm also wondering if Kenny's "sandwich" technique would help.  He posted a video quite a while back and it got me through one of my more difficult ones.

I'm glad the test file is helping.  I do that a lot -- especially to place into the working file and use as a template for shading, my weakest "talent."  And I do a lot of channel mixing and looking at each channel in all the color spaces to see If any details are hidden (sometimes it's amazing how much you can pull out).

I'm going to get cranking on my newest tonight, and I'll need all the help I can get!  This'll be my most difficult yet, so I'm sure it won't be long before I'm begging for suggestions. Stand by. News at 11!

Hugz back at ya'

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

glennab

I'm back ---  since I'm at lunch and bored, I thought I'd try something.  I combined your more textured image with the one I think is too "painterly" and angular -- they may not be registered exactly, but the combination could be a good place to start.  I'll have to see what it looks like when I post it.  Here t'is

Well, he's definitely not registered -- the two images were different sizes when I downloaded them and I couldn't get them perfectly aligned.  Your last post is on top and set to 50% opacity. It might be that if you play with layer opacity and blending modes you'd have a good compromise.

Gotta get back to work!  Good luck.

I'll check in later.

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Ooooo  we're on the same page!!  I went back to the books and found Katrina's information.  I'm working on the face and the uniform.  I'll post later this afternoon after I get off from work. 

Hugs!
C :up:

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

klassylady25

klassylady25

Going home unless you see something dramatic.

glennab

Wow, Candy, he's come a long way.  I only see 3 things I'd tweak.  There's a little reddish cast in portions of his jacket, especially to our right and near the point where his jacket lapels meet.  I'd smooth that area a bit more as well.  And I'd make the highlight down his nose a tad darker and straighter.  You've about nailed him, I'd say.  He looks wonderful.  Keeping the texture helped a bunch!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

I see those points. Amazing what getting away from the screen does and having your eyes!  Thanks Glenna so very much for all you'd helped with.  I'll take care of those areas.  Texurizing was a challenge, but with a little ah here and a little oh there... I've finally got it.  Kiska and you helped. (Reminds me of a Shake-N-Bake commercial)  LOL

:hug: C

klassylady25

Here's smiling at ya!  This is my final post of this soldier.  I realize that there is a part of the uniform missing, but rather than place an incorrect item on the lapel I chose to omit it.  In the original photo, the unit insignia is only visible by a light gold sheen, but there was no definition to it to distiguish  - calvary, artilery... etc. 

:loveit:  I just love this work!!   And YOU at OPR!!!

Next one is on the chopping block.   

glennab

Yes, ma'm -- he looks mighty fine.  Much more like the original and less "painterly."  Kudos!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)