• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

'roid help

Started by lizO, October 03, 2008, 09:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Well said, Max.  I wonder if your observation should be placed somewhere in our tips & tricks area or our handbook. I've experienced the syndrome a few times of "just one more thing, and it'll look better," and then realized that the "just one more thing" is going to look painted, false or superfluous.  It's a very fine line, and perfection is nigh unto impossible on many of these restorations.

Liz, your efforts on behalf of this family will be much appreciated.  The moment and the people are there, and it looks much better than the original.  You can only fill so many cracks without losing a little of the detail.  I think you're doing a fine job.

BTW, I feel that whatever time you take to have your restoration to a point at which you're satisfied is just the right amount.  I work full time, and sometimes my restorations take a month or so, because I love the worst ones.  My suggestion to you and anyone else who's new is to stay in contact with your distribution coordinator and if you get concerned about time, check with her.   That's always worked for me.  No one has ever rushed me through a restoration, and I realize that we want to return the work as soon as we can, but there are times when it helps to back away from the work for a day or two to refresh your eyes and brain.

Cheers!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

lizO

Thanks very much, both Max & GK. When i first did a few OPR pieces, in '06, i got the sense from somewhere that time was an issue.  I know there are things that will click into place when i walk away (run away, drive away, move away...). I've gotten attached to that dang ol' pinto and the granddad too. Liz

Mhayes

Hi Liz, can't add much to what has already been said. When you mentioned that time seemed to be an issue in 06, it still is in 08, but when a distributor knows that a volunteer is working on his photo and it is coming along--no problem. What is a problem is where a volunteer takes a photo and never reports back and 3 to 4 weeks have passed with no progress report. At that time the distributor will send an email out asking how things are going. We have volunteers take a drawing and never complete their photo or respond back. My hunch is that they took on more than they could handle, which the remedy for that is to ask the distributor to return the photo to the gallery. It's not a problem and everyone at sometime picks a photo that doesn't work for them. We also prefer that volunteers not take photos too difficult so that they are not tied up for a month. The best time is to be able to get a photo in under a week if you can. You are doing great, don't change a thing!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lizO

ok, i'm back on the job. I went back to an earlier version and started again. i think it's coming along. Liz

lizO

i think i've gone as far as i can go on this one. maybe a bit farther than i should have. any advice before i send it back? other than retrim the border....thanks!

Mhayes

Hi Liz, could you post it for us to see? Thanks.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lizO

it's up there, the 5th one. you can see the difference in the pony's hind legs.

Tess (Tassie D)

I brought the original and no. 5 over here so we can see it without going back a page, makes for easier viewing.

Liz you're doing a great job on this crazy paver photo. You could have used it as a jigsaw puzzle. I can just see some faint cracks in the sky. I really think you won't get it much better than this except to bring the colour back up a bit.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

lizO

i wish i knew how to do that (move photos in forum)! thank you Tess, that's what i'll do tomorrow am. (should i remove the versions in-between?) Liz

Tess (Tassie D)

Hi Liz. All you need to do is re-copy the links on your photobucket page and paste them into your reply. You can leave the in between versions up as others can see the progression and how you worked through each stage. These works in progress are a great learning tool.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

lizO

It's done. whew! i just uploaded it. Thank you so much for your help and support. I'm lookin' for EZ now.... Liz