• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Too clinical?

Started by G3User, July 20, 2012, 01:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G3User

Not sure if this needs to be a little less tidy, what do you think?

Any other comments of course

Athol

Hannie

Lovely restore Athol, to lessen the "clean" look you could try a curves layer and pull down the curve from the middle just a hint.  Then on the layer mask you could use a (white to black) gradient from the top of the photo down to about the couch.
(am I making any sense here?  ::))

If all else fails I would be more than willing to lend you my mucker-upper machine, it hasn't been used much lately so it could use a spin.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Athol, I thought this was a home photo of you as a baby and was going to comment on how cool you looked.  I think you did a great job and can't add to what Hannie has suggested.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Thanks girls. :hug:

Finished up with a 50% grey to black circular gradient only applies to the wall, looked much better Hannie

Re your VERY kind offer, NO THANKS. I am led to believe that your license has relapsed due to inactivity and as per the terms of your contract the machine must be destroyed. Would you please confirm.

Margie, you got the cool bit correct but there is too much hair to be me

Athol

schen

Athol,

Your restoration may be on the brighter side but I thought it set up nicely for the shades.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

G3User

Thanks Shugen,

I always struggle with gamma, even with my own photos. The computer is in a room which gets indirect afternoon sun which make it very bright compared to incandescent light at night. The monitor is calibrated and I have set Brightness to 120, seems to be the best compromise and produces a reasonable match with prints.

However I have just had a look at the final histogram of this image and found I have ended up with all colors crushed. I haven't done this check routinely, relying on the original color/brightness correction to be no more than 250 for peak and in this case used the nappy as the reference.

Obviously I have accumulated problems throughout the restoration, it looks like in the creation of the couch fabric particularly. :-[

Have to be more careful in future and I have added a sticky to the edge of the monitor

Always something more to learn

Athol