• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Eyeball This One Please?

Started by Charlene5, October 11, 2007, 06:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlene5

This is the photo that drove me to despair a couple of nights ago.  I'm still not happy with the boy's face and the plaid of his outfit isn't great but short of starting all over again (three tries is enough, thank you :)) I think it's the best I can do.  Having looked at it for six days I've lost the ability to see it.  Please look for me and offer suggestions?  Thanks!

MJ

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

glennab

Hi MJ

There's absolutely no way you could guess what the boy looks like, so even though you did a wonderful job on his face, I'm pretty sure he looks very different.  I say that because I think I recognize the suit as the same one from a portrait of this little guy that Chris did early on. If I'm not mistaken his photos from at least that age to adulthood have been on the forum regularly since then (I believe he's the portrait on which Sanbie's working right now – and I'd guess he's in his early 20s in that one).  We've vicariously watched this youn'un grow up through everyone's work on a number of photos of him.  I wonder if somewhere in OPR's archives that earlier photo would be available for you to use as a template.  My suggestion is to check with Chris to verify that this is "her" toddler and if she can scare up a reference photo for you.  The restoration is awesome except for that rather critical detail!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

sanbie

Well i actually disagree Glenna...I think the restore looks exactly like her/him..except it has a painted look compared to the rest..which when you do a major piece over the face like that unless you have another copy of a photo of the same person so you can borrow bits from...then you can't get away without the painted look...

For what you had and what you have done...I think you have done fabulous!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

schen

Don't be too critical of yourself.  The plaid outfit looks great.  I see the orange spot on his left shoulder as a damage dot.  I like the original shiny reflection of her dress.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Charlene5

Schen the orange dot is a button and I'll put her shine back.  Thanks everyone for the eyes!
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

cmpentecost

Hey MJ,

I do have a photo of this little guy at about the same age.  Let me send it to you.

Chris

glennab

Sanbie and MJ:

I agree with you, Sanbie, on every point except for the fact that I think there is a reference photo from which to get a true idea of his visage.  If we didn't have any other images, MJ would have a wonderfully rendered restoration, given the information (or lack thereof) on the original.  I just think it would be worth it to check with Christine about another photo if this is indeed the same little boy I think I recognize. I'm not denegrating MJ's work; it's wonderful.  This happens to be an image with the possibility of being more accurate with further information.

Glenna

Addendum: Chris was posting while I was.  Thanks, Christine, for verifying that there's another version of this little face.
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Charlene5

I did have another picture of him - that's where the eyes came from.  In that one he's leaning his head back and the damage is all down the middle of hs face, same as in my original.  If there's a better picture I'd be willing to work at it some more.

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Charlene5

This is a roughed in version 2.   I had an idea to try.  I found an older picture of my kid and borrowed his face.  I didn't use any of the features - they were too mature - but I did use the bone structure because that doesn't change.  I superimposed the old over the new and then did some warping and liquifying to get it to sit right.  I haven't gone much further because I wanted your opinions again.  Is he more "himself" now?  I think he looks less moonfaced and the contours are much improved.  What do you think?  I added back the shine on the dress, too.

MJ

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

klassylady25

Tess (Tassie D)

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

:up: Looks great to me MJ..Well done!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

rockthumper

phischer

I think this new face looks much better. I would just double check the position of his mouth. It seems too be off center when compared to the position of his nose. Maybe just select the mouth and move it to our right a bit.  Then again I have no idea what he looks like for real so maybe his mouth is actually supposed to be off center.
:D