• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

I could use some help.

Started by dyocum555, February 12, 2013, 05:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyocum555

Hello Everyone,

I'm starting to loose some hair over this one (not that I have much now anyway) and could use some advice. I'm having a lot of problems with the young lady on the right.

David

Really...that's what you're going with?

Canon 7D, Photoshop CS6, Topaz Labs, On One,  NAPP Member, Intuos5

dyocum555

Mhayes

David

I would suggest maybe starting over, not that you have done a bad job but I don't think it will be easy to undo a few things. The first thing would be a color correction and even doing "Auto" on a Curves Adjustment would show you the differences---especially in the hair color of the blond and also their complexion. Also, in the original, the brunette does not have red lips. If you look in the blue channel you will get a better detail of her mouth. Have you brought in from another picture the white lacy collar, because I can't get that kind of detail? Last, but not least your WIP seems to appear out of focus and wonder if you have used some type of filter?

Try to not loose any more hair on this one, but maybe step away from it for awhile to keep from going crazy. I think your work shows promise, but maybe trying a few things differently.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

dyocum555

Hello Margie,

Starting over...umm no, not completely.  I have spent many 8+ hour days working to get it this far.  My biggest problem is with the face and all the damage.  I will probably take a day or two off from it and tackle the faces/hair again.

I agree with the lips and plan on fixing them.

There was an area around the younger girls hand that was good for the collar and I just copied and pasted that several times, adjusting the angle as needed. I haven't brought anything in from another photo.  In fact, you can see at the bottom of the collar where I still have the paste areas to clean up.

I'm disabled so I have a lot of time on my hands and at one time I had close to a dozen layer groups that I've built upon.  Stepping back for a day or so is very good advice.  At the moment everything I try on the face makes it worse.

Thanks Margie!  :)

David

kiska

Maybe this will help out.

This is elemental layers. A LOT more to do. It appears to me the girl's have on black dresses.
1. Background copy is a merge of levels and curves.
2. Copy/paste the blue channel>luminosity. Helps to determine the color contaminated areas and more detail
3. New layer>color, to brush out, slowly, the funky colors
4. Made cmyk copy>chose yel chan to copy/paste to the working rgb image. This really helped to determine damage, especially blond girls pony tail.
5. Painted in blond's hair right above bow.

This is the yellow channel from the cmyk copy.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

dyocum555

Thank you Kiska, I'll give you're suggestions a try too.  I'm not sure about the dresses, maybe someone can contact the photo's owner and ask.  I sampled the dress in a few undamaged spots to get that color.

David

jesterjeni

I used the healing brush and sampled the good skin from the little girls arm to help correct the face ....I disregarded the color ..you can always put the color back in later. I see the pattern in the lace...just not as vivid as yours... your question seemed to be about the face so I hope this helps..its not as technical as everyone else... but we all work diffrently, keep your chin up! we all have the same goal...to send these little ladys home- the end result is priceless!!

Uploaded with ImageShack

kiska

If the color is available it is best to use that color. Do not come back and "put the color back in" (colorize?) a BW version when the color is good in the original. The color in this original needs some help but it is there.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

David, I agree with Kiska about the color and all the information you need is there. Yes, it is frustrating to have spent so many hours and not get the right results, but just as frustrating to continue with the wrong results and have the photo rejected in the end. That is why the Forum is a great place to start before investing too many hours in frustration.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Kiska, thanks for the great tips!  Using the cmyk copy really showed where I had to repair the damage.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Kiska, thanks for the great tutorial--especially with the screen prints. When you first showed this on the Forum; I got hung up on the duplicate part and on this one, could you explain two things:

(1.) The original stays in RGB and
(2.) The duplicate color mode is in CMYK?

When Kiska says make a duplicate, she does not mean to do a "Save As" to use, but rather go up to the PS menu and and under Image> choose Duplicate. On this one change the Mode>CMYK. Despite what you may think, you can after copying all of the yellow channel you can drop it on the original that is RGB.

Kiska, I think I'm explaining this right? If not thank me for muddying the water.  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

bjtx

Kiska,
Thanks for your helpful tips. :up2:
Would you please share your channel blending technique resources?
I'm familiar with Dan Margulis & his books.  Are there other good sources available?

TIA  :)

Betty
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

kiska

Mistress Margie, you got it.

Betty, I really don't have any specific resources. A lot of experimenting and tips picked up here and there. sorry. :(

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

jesterjeni

OK so now I have to question how does the yellow channel help? I seen Hannie mention that she could see the damage more clearly, but how does it help? I have been doing this a long time, and I am completely self taught.....what do we do with the yellow channel, I know we need it to be there because of the little girls hair?
share the wealth??

Mhayes

I will let Kiska and Hannie explain further, but have you followed Kiska's example first as I think it might help your question or are you stuck in the process?

Kiska's explanation on why the yellow channel:

Quote4. Made cmyk copy>chose yel chan to copy/paste to the working rgb image. This really helped to determine damage, especially blond girls pony tail.
5. Painted in blond's hair right above bow.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]