• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Button, button, who's got the button

Started by lurch, October 09, 2008, 11:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurch

This young fellow's head didn't take too much effort, but I had a devil of a time rebuilding the shirt to match the original. Now we all know that shirt had to have buttons but I couldn't find any evidence of them. OK to fabricate a couple? Any critique?

<C>

klassylady25

Actually, I think that the button is under the collar.  I get that from the way that it's pullin'.

lurch

Candice, you've accounted for one button. I thought pretty much the same. My guess (again based on the way the stripes pull) is there's a second one farther down. What do you think? Or might it be a polo-type shirt with a placket? In that case  the placket bottom is pretty far down - but this shirt apparently has plenty of growin' room . . .
<C>

Tess (Tassie D)

I think you'd be pretty safe to go with a white or semi clear button just below where the shirt front gapes a bit. Great job on it . :up: Don't you just love stripes.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

I'm with Tassie on the button, and a great job on the shirt.

I wonder if it would have been better to keep the original colour - This was the original colour corrected in levels each channel separately, the background was repaired using the healing tool in replace mode to sample the colours around the face then blended in normal mode, this is verry rough but conveys the idea.

The texture in the image was removed using Filter> Noise> Median on a setting of 1 - handy at times if you don't have the FFT filter.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

klassylady25

Quote from: Tassie D on October 09, 2008, 11:42:08 PM
I think you'd be pretty safe to go with a white or semi clear button just below where the shirt front gapes a bit. Great job on it . :up: Don't you just love stripes.

Beware when a mod tell you that!! 'Cause they'll get you on the next picture with those dang machines!!   LOL 
Oh, and nice smile Lurch.

lurch

@Aussimax: Nice tone! The gray is just my working file - planned to tone it when all done so I could send in two versions.

@Candice: You should see the next two pictures. Machines went wild! And I love the Lurch shot. Even tho I really am just a (mostly) mild-mannered old lady, it would make a great avatar.

Re texture: Since I work on a Mac I use the FFT process in ImageJ. Working on the FFT itself doesn't seem to do much to that honeycomb texture, in my experience. Maybe I'm just not doing it right. At any rate, a bandpass filter with high end set to match the honeycomb size and low end set really low (so it's actually a very wide lowpass filter) seems to do pretty well.
<C>

lurch

I've been looking at this young'un for so long he's like one of my own kids - can't see faults any more. I'm leaving it up to y'all's eagle eyes to decide if he's done . . . or if there's something I missed. Both a sepia and a black & white version will go back.

@Tassie: I hate stripes!

<C>

Tess (Tassie D)

Thats looking great lurch. :up2: The only thing I'd do is soften the button a little to make it match the age of the photo.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Lurch, this one has come a long way, great job!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

GP

Hi Lurch,
you did a great job restoring this photo! There is, however, something, that is bothering me. I believe his right shoulder ( our left ) needs a bit of correction. Something is not quite right with the perspective, it's a little too high compared to his other shoulder.

Gerlinde
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

lurch

Hi Gerlinde,
When my architect son looked at the photo he thought that shoulder was too low  ::). All is moot at this point 'cause the young fellow has been sent back. But thanks for taking a critical look.
<C>
<C>

lurch

@Gerlinde: The more I looked at that photo the more I agreed with you and the more it bothered me. I've sent back a revision that makes the shoulder look more natural.
<C>