• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Making Faces

Started by Rbm, April 13, 2010, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbm

Greetings,

This photo had some damage over the faces.  I tried to keep the facial detail I could see.  I borrowed eyes from different faces in the photo.  I may have even borrowed a nose.  The boy in the front row on the right needed new eyes.  Is what I did acceptable?  I felt like I was just making it up.  Please review what I did and let me know if I need to fix or repair anything else.

Thanks,
Richard   

Mhayes

Hi Richard,

You really had a difficult one to work. You did a great job in bringing back a lot of the detail, but borrowing body parts from fellow students is a no-no.  This is from the African American Museum's collection and it is important to keep everything as accurate as we can. In the case of the boy on the front row,  restore what you can and the rest will need to be blurred. Had this been a family's photo, changing body parts would not work as the family would notice right off. Also, the girl on at the top of the bleachers on your left has received new legs, the girl below a new arm and lower body--you did a nice job, but that too is also a no-no. I understand the need to fill in as otherwise they look amputated. Also, on your left, there is another boy sitting next to the one in the plaid shirt. He is totally lost, but he would have blocked out the full body of the girl above him.

I'm open to suggestions on how to handle the missing information on the far left--make a triangle and fill with white?

Great job on the flooring and the extension of the bleachers to the left. I would do a Levels Adjustment layer and bring your sliders in.

Kudos for a great start!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Richard,

Maybe this is a solution:  make 2 versions of the restore.  One as it is and one with the added body parts blurred?  That way the AAM can have a choice either way.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Rbm

Greetings,

Thank you Margie and Hannie for the guidance.  Below is my latest effort.  I made a levels adjustment and blurred the left edge and the face of the boy sitting in the front row on the right.

I like Hannie's idea of providing two versions.  I hope that will be aceptable to the AAM.

Thanks,
Richard

Mhayes

Richard, I think Hannie's idea of two versions is good and I like what you have done. This photo almost borders as a non-restore with all the missing parts, but it is still great to be able to restore part of the photo. I know that AAMI is very pleased with what we have done so far!

Great job!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Rbm

Hey Margie,

As soon as I logoff here I will upload the two versions of the image to you.

Thanks,
Richard

Mhayes

Hi Richard,

I got both of them and great job!

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]